Need advice: aftermarket front bumpers

doingMach1

Anyone have any experience with an aftermarket front bumper for the C6? Thinking of getting a TKO, SIC, or RKSport Z06 style front bumper for the C6.....thanks

Don't expect any of the aftermarket bumpers to fir without any work ... That said, the Lingenfelter bumper is about the biggest POS I have ever seen, it had lots of pinholes and even cavities under the gelcoat. Now its all fixed but the quality is just so poor it should have never left their shop like this.
Ecklers fiberglass is usually very good quality, so is Vanacor's stuff.

I have seen one Z06 replica bumper for the front that fits the stock C6 fenders, i was considering buying it, looked really good. Too bad I don't know who sells it, thonk I saw it offered on one of the forums...

I wouldn't be doing it myself...it will be done at the body shop. I had a minor accident and it's at the local dealership for the repairs, which includes a replacement front bumper....just not sure what the amount of work will be to fit it correctly.

TKO Performance has a nice one (based on images) and they claim that it's a bolt on.

if you get a fiberglass bumper make sure they (the body shop) look for pinholes under the gelcoat - next time I get a fiberglass part I'll hit it with a small hammer (lightly) on the surface to find imperfections.
Problem is that this crap will show up as bubbles as soon as you park the car in the sun an it gets hot... it will bubble and crack the paint....
now, if you fix all this stuff before primer and paint it's all good.... it's just an additional hour at the shop.....

Thanks for the advice! I will make sure I mention it. It's all going to be done at a certified GM dealership, so I expect they know what to do....but I wills room it to them.

As far as style, I like the SIC bumper best, and the forum complaints I have seen so far (regarding fit and finish) all seem to be due to bad workmanship and not quality of product.

well.... urethane bumpers can be painted and then bolted to the car, the material is flexible and they add a flex additive tomthe paint so if they have to pull it into position to make it fit the paint will flex....
this won't work with fiberglass: fiberglass requires one additional test fit and maybe some bodywork to get a good fit, then paint.... it is more work and many shops don't like it....
do you have photos of the bumpers you like???

is this the Sic bumper? looks really nice, 8 think that's the one I was looking at a few years ago....

180643_10150379475925635_553305634_16863642_2055803_n.jpg

Last edited:
Well I had to make a decision so I decided to just go with the OEM parts. I'll upgrade to a wide body in the future when I can do it with the OEM panels.

Just wasn't worth the risk....thanks for the help!