MSD 6AL tachometer problems

SuperBuickGuy

I've done the google search, and looked through several forums for answers. The net result is everyone says "problem" but no one has come back after their "solution" and said "it works"

The problem. My tach isn't accurate. It reads 1500-1700 at idle (more like 900), and once you touch the throttle it reads 3500 at no point does it show actual rpm.
I put a 6AL on the car - the problem existed before the 6AL - however, the 6AL only made the condition worse. It doesn't matter where you hook up your tach - either at the distributor or on the side of the box. Granted, they have different issues. On the distributor it reads 0 at idle, 500 rpm anywhere about that. With the box, it has the same problem as it had before. MSD says do not use the filter. So I tried it anyway. I put the filter in line in from both connection points. On the box - it didn't change anything nor did it on the distributor.

I'll call MSD today and ask their solution.... then post it up here. (I think it's an 8920 tach adapter, but we'll see).

continuing:

So I bought a filter. It doesn't change anything.

Then I called B&M and spoke to Mr. Surly - he suggested a 10k 1/4 amp fuse.

I installed and nada

I'm waiting on a tach board from Willcox.

Problem with the tach board is this: I have to pull the dash apart to pull the tach. When the dash is apart, it's really easy to get to the pedals. When it's easy to get to the pedals I think "well, I might as well do the 4 speed conversion"..... I don't have time to do the 4 speed conversion.... so the tach may not get fixed for a bit

All I can comment is, that I bought a MSD 6 A long time ago, and it did smooth out the idle on a rich running Pontiac I had, way before internet daze.....so I just redid the carb as it was when I got the car, ....

Then reading on the UUNet daze yet, I found out that MSD was good for essentiall one thing, firing rich mixes at lo RPM, and so sure enough some time later, I put it on my '87 vette, and noticed NO difference in performance, NONE WAT SO EVER, not fuel economy, not starting, idle, nothing.....

took it off, tried it on my '72 here with TPI, just for shits and giggles, and it refused to run at ALL, took it off, fired right off....of course a TPI has a HEI ignition....

Methinks Mike, 69427, agrees with me.....

:thumbs::smash:

I've done the google search, and looked through several forums for answers. The net result is everyone says "problem" but no one has come back after their "solution" and said "it works"

The problem. My tach isn't accurate. It reads 1500-1700 at idle (more like 900), and once you touch the throttle it reads 3500 at no point does it show actual rpm.
I put a 6AL on the car - the problem existed before the 6AL - however, the 6AL only made the condition worse. It doesn't matter where you hook up your tach - either at the distributor or on the side of the box. Granted, they have different issues. On the distributor it reads 0 at idle, 500 rpm anywhere about that. With the box, it has the same problem as it had before. MSD says do not use the filter. So I tried it anyway. I put the filter in line in from both connection points. On the box - it didn't change anything nor did it on the distributor.

I'll call MSD today and ask their solution.... then post it up here. (I think it's an 8920 tach adapter, but we'll see).

It's the tach. Never had a problem with MSD 6's and an aftermarket tach.

It's the tach. Never had a problem with MSD 6's and an aftermarket tach.

me either - I had a 6A set up in my Skylark, and drove the tach just fine.... and I did consider using an aftermarket tach, but the only ones I saw looked pretty ugly in the Corvette dash