Mass Flo installed and running

Gordonm

It has been a while since I got this. I finally finished up enough for a start and a quick run down the street with open headers. I still have half the dash out and the passenger seat out and some tidying up of some wires but I wanted to see how it ran. It started up within 2 cranks and idled on its own with no problem. After setting the timing the idle speed was right on at about 900 rpm. Great throttle response and the idle is good. It takes about 30 to 40 miles for the computer to really learn how I will be driving but so far it is perfect. Here are some pictures of the install. The hardware is easy to install. The wiring harness is a generic harness to fit many cars. I had to pretty much pull it apart and reposition a lot of wiring and move some of the components. This is not needed but I wanted a clean install. Also the fuel lines took quite a bit of time to do it right. I had a minor leak that was easily fixed. I have since put in a shut off valve right before the fuel pump in case I have to open up the system or drain the tank for any reason. Here is the tank and fuel lines. Another job I had to do is rewire the dual Spal fans. The computer will trigger the fans so I did not need the controller for the fans. Just 2 relays and wire them accordingly. Out came the whole wiring for that and rewired it for a cleaner install.

fistuff010.jpg

The coil inside the car so not to clutter up the engine compartment. Not much room in the engine area anyway. Still need to clean up some wiring here.
fistuff019.jpg

Inertia switch location in case of accident. Safety first here. Easy to get to if I need to reset it.
fistuff026.jpg

Check engine light. From an 82 Vette.
fistuff013.jpg

Computer under the passenger seat. Not much choice here. The little box in front is the fuse box and relay center for the fuel pump, fans ,computer. This is going to sit right up against the seat so it is out of the way. Again not much choice in location.
fistuff018.jpg

I made a power take off as to not crowd the starter. I ran a heavy 10 gauge wire over to the circuit breaker. The top wire is for the computer and the left side and bottom are for the fans going up to the relays mounted on the inner fender.
fistuff020.jpg

Engine shot
fistuff015.jpg

Closer shot of the throttle body
fistuff017.jpg

Mass air sensor installed with the custom air cleaner base
fistuff021.jpg

Setup with everthing but the lid. It clears the hood with a little to spare but it clears.
fistuff022.jpg

I left out many of the details of the install. If anyone wants any more details feel free to ask. I have not had it out on the road yet due to weather but as soon as it clears up a little I'll be road testing it.

That looks nice. I'm guessing its lower profile than a carb?

Is there a return on the fuel pump?

Well, I got a 1227730 bulky stock GM computer up behind the map pocket by hanging brackets to the w/shield cowling, along with my wiper door relays, and some garage door opening transmitters/receivers.....I suspect you can do the same with that smaller appearing computer from under the seat....

that spark coil location is cute.....some chick riding along will stick her dainty little footsey up there and get the living HELL shock out of her some day.....

:bounce::bounce::devil::cussing: needless to say you will not be getting anything THAT night.....

:amazed::tth:

Well, I got a 1227730 bulky stock GM computer up behind the map pocket by hanging brackets to the w/shield cowling, along with my wiper door relays, and some garage door opening transmitters/receivers.....I suspect you can do the same with that smaller appearing computer from under the seat....

that spark coil location is cute.....some chick riding along will stick her dainty little footsey up there and get the living HELL shock out of her some day.....

:bounce::bounce::devil::cussing: needless to say you will not be getting anything THAT night.....

:amazed::tth:

You never know she might be into that.

I like the MAF that sits on the throttle body under the air cleaner. Very clean looking.

That looks nice. I'm guessing its lower profile than a carb?

Is there a return on the fuel pump?

The return I used the stock line on the passenger side. The fuel regulator is on the back of the fuel rail and the return line is off of that. I just took off the sock in the tank and bent the line towards the rear so as not to disturb the intake of fuel at the bottom of the tank.

She is going to have to get her foot up there pretty far but if she does it is going to buzz her.

Yes it is lower profile than a carb but you cannot use a drop base air cleaner. I use a flat base and "modified" it slightly. Hood clearance is tight.

Glad to hear you ended up going with the system. If I remember right we exchanged some emails on this after I did my install.

You will definitely like it, been rock solid for me, just have needed minor timing and fuel pressure adjustments.

The nice thing is that since it is just a Ford EEC IV you can always take the plunge and crack into it with Tweecer or similar tools.

22449bfe9130bd9a.jpg

Phil

Very nice Gordon! Well, everything but the coil location...lol

The coil did not work out to well there anyway. It made to much noise. It buzzed. I have since moved it back outside on the inner fenderwell on the passenger side. I did clean up that area behind the dash.