Like BeeJay's Door Mod

73c34me

Apologies for the miss-spelled name in title; I can't edit that. A couple of pics did upload under pmy photos
Inspired by BeeJay's efforts to lighten his door(s), I follow his direction. Mine is a 73. I stripped the paint off the door Sat. so I did not have to be too careful. Removed window glass, cut a an opening (smaller than B.J.s) Threw the door into a snow bank & used my torches to cut the crash bar out of its home. door wt. without side glass, post surgery was 47 lbs. on my bathroom scale. The crash bar & removed pieces of inner door frame wt. was 10-11 lbs. on my bathroom scale. No heat issues from the torch, as there was no paint to protect & the snow made a nice heat sync on the outside of the door skin. I did throw some snow inside the door to cool this as well. I have tried to load pics. but keep getting a Too Large message, even tho I resized them smaller than the max. pixel size. Not sure I would do this if I was not going to paint the car, but since I am, I did!

Last edited:
Apologies for the miss-spelled name in title; I can't edit that. A couple of pics did upload under pmy photos
Inspired by BeeJay's efforts to lighten his door(s), I follow his direction. Mine is a 73. I stripped the paint off the door Sat. so I did not have to be too careful. Removed window glass, cut a an opening (smaller than B.J.s) Threw the door into a snow bank & used my torches to cut the crash bar out of its home. door wt. without side glass, post surgery was 47 lbs. on my bathroom scale. The crash bar & removed pieces of inner door frame wt. was 10-11 lbs. on my bathroom scale. No heat issues from the torch, as there was no paint to protect & the snow made a nice heat sync on the outside of the door skin. I did throw some snow inside the door to cool this as well. I have tried to load pics. but keep getting a Too Large message, even tho I resized them smaller than the max. pixel size. Not sure I would do this if I was not going to paint the car, but since I am, I did!

I would love to see the before and after pictures too. Photobucket is my friend. 11lbs is great. I think I saved a couple more when I had to replace the passenger side window. The replacement window was way thinner. It's louder too. I keep checking to make sure it's all the way up, cause it sounds like it is cracked open just a bit. I also drilled some large holes in the heavy iron support lifts ala Norval Wilhelm. What's snow?
Bee Jay
Corvette610Small.jpg

Corvette564.jpg
Corvette627.jpg

before & after pics

Photos are available. Go to my photos from the original posting.

I would love to see the before and after pictures too. Photobucket is my friend. 11lbs is great. I think I saved a couple more when I had to replace the passenger side window. The replacement window was way thinner. It's louder too. I keep checking to make sure it's all the way up, cause it sounds like it is cracked open just a bit. I also drilled some large holes in the heavy iron support lifts ala Norval Wilhelm. What's snow?
Bee Jay
Corvette610Small.jpg

Corvette564.jpg
Corvette627.jpg