lazymans way to treat rusted frame

turtlevette

The Turdle
I was looking around at car care stuff last night.

Eastwood makes some stuff called fast etch. The vids are pretty impressive showing it works fast.

I'm wondering if that would be a good way to remove and slow down the rust on my badly rusted 84 Suburban frame. It leaves a white zinc coating by reacting with the rust.

I was looking around at car care stuff last night.

Eastwood makes some stuff called fast etch. The vids are pretty impressive showing it works fast.

I'm wondering if that would be a good way to remove and slow down the rust on my badly rusted 84 Suburban frame. It leaves a white zinc coating by reacting with the rust.

I bought a couples of cans of this stuff.
I plan to use it on the birdcage, once it's powder coated, I'll spray everywhere I can where there is a tubing.
Windshield post, lower windshield corners. etc.
Hope it works as good as they say, LOL

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cm7W7Db5vdw[/ame]

i don't care what the inside is like. I'm just looking for something to make the frame look presentable for annual inpection.

I love how they assume the interior frame is clean and free of oils. I bet my vette has a 1/4" of sand dirt and oil mixture inside the frame. Fantastic rustproofing.

Right now just trying to get a few more years out of my $500 surburban.

i don't care what the inside is like. I'm just looking for something to make the frame look presentable for annual inpection.

I love how they assume the interior frame is clean and free of oils. I bet my vette has a 1/4" of sand dirt and oil mixture inside the frame. Fantastic rustproofing.

Right now just trying to get a few more years out of my $500 surburban.

HUmm, never know WHAT I find here, that sounds great for my Motor HOme with a 42 year old frame, AND the vette.....AND the 20 y/o Miata...

All I need, spend more money.....:hissyfit:

This stuff does a great job and is a rust converter. For longer protection you can spray a cold industrial galvanized spray on top. Same as the the Eastwood stuff.
Pic shows bare metal after treatment and any rust converted just like OSPHO too.
Applied with a hand weed sprayer.

OSPHOFrame.jpg

15 bucks/gal at HomeyDepot

GKPA30220_2_R.jpg

This stuff does a great job and is a rust converter. For longer protection you can spray a cold industrial galvanized spray on top. Same as the the Eastwood stuff.
Pic shows bare metal after treatment and any rust converted just like OSPHO too.
Applied with a hand weed sprayer.

OSPHOFrame.jpg

15 bucks/gal at HomeyDepot

GKPA30220_2_R.jpg

I imagine that shit will burn like hell if it gets on my hairy skin, maybe even hands.....so to wear a suit, hard to spray in my garage with no lift, just jackstands.....and how to remove all the crap/road grime from inside the frames first.....any suggestions???

Both products are phosphoric acid, no mystery there.
You don't want to use it over concrete. It's much better at etching concrete than muriatic acid. If you work away from the application you're safe.

I used a lift, a made a suit out of garbage bags, mostly for the grease. For inside the frame a used a swivel sewer nozzle with a pressure cleaner and that purple degreaser multiple times inside and out. Pressure cleaner knock off all the loose stuff.
Then I kept rinsing with a hose and water until all clear on the inside of frame.
Used the PA last with the weed sprayer and did not rinse it. Did it over a lawn.
If you rinse it immediately, it leaves bare metal. You have to leave it on unrinsed and allow it to dry to get the protection.
Been using that or OSPHO for probably 30 years.
The first step thru bare metal automatic production painting is to use PA and then run it thru an oven and then primer.

Here is a link to the ospho, Same stuff.

http://www.ospho.com/directions.htm

Last edited: