Latest updade on my 68 project

cgc68

I started this body off project 2 years ago and I am ready to unite the chassis with the body. I want to share this update with you and thank you for your encourangement and help. The transmission is a 200 4R OD. The motor is a mostly stock 327.

DSCF1532.jpg DSCF1533.jpg DSCF1534.jpg DSCF1535.jpg DSCF1536.jpg DSCF1539.jpg DSCF1541.jpg DSCF1546.jpg DSCF1547.jpg

Haha, thanks, but pictures can lie. The paint on most of the car is of a 20 footer quality and the bumpers are barely holding on (cheap replacements when they repainted to the red that dry-rotted). My project thread has some more realistic pics. Don't get me wrong, I still appreciate the praise :)

Just to let you know After 2 years 1 month and 1 week the body is setting on the chassis again :) :)

Pictures to follow later.

Last edited:
Looking good but I hope you have the rear upper shock bolts in the right way, in your pic it looks like the bolt is on the inside and the nut on the outside, with the body on there's no way of getting it out without cutting off the heads

Looking good but I hope you have the rear upper shock bolts in the right way, in your pic it looks like the bolt is on the inside and the nut on the outside, with the body on there's no way of getting it out without cutting off the heads

Hello Twin_Turbo

I had no intentions of going to the garage today I just wanted to set back and pat myself on the back for doing such a good job getting the body back on the chassis (with help). But after reading your comment about that bolt I could not set here with that grin from ear to ear. I had to go find out if you were right (in my heart I knew you were). From the picture it sure looked liked I screwed up. So I took my help DSCF1611.jpg

and we went to the garage. I will let the pictures I took today speak for themselves.

DSCF1609.jpg

DSCF1612.jpg

Well it looks like I have a few options. Just leave it and run the old shocks. No I might have just lived with this mistake if I had my new shocks on. Knock holes in the storage compartments. No I am no body man. Cut the heads off as you suggested. Raise the body enough to get the bolts out. I still have everything set up to lift the body. I bet I go with lifting the body again.

Twin_Turbo thanks so much for letting me know. It will be much easier to take care of now.

charlie

Last edited:
It's a very common mistake, same with the removable crossmembers, people have the bolt in from the rear and with the deeper part under the seat they will not be able to get it out without denting the (steel) floor.

wow, Twin_Turbo pays a lot of attention to details. I would have never noticed the incorrect orientation of the bolt. Thanks for pointing it out. This forum rocks.

wow, Twin_Turbo pays a lot of attention to details. I would have never noticed the incorrect orientation of the bolt. Thanks for pointing it out. This forum rocks.

I agree nice catch , Pic #6 seems to be the closest shot and I still can't see it clearly.

saw it in this pic but I have to confess, I did purposely look at it to see if it was in the correct way because I've seen it done wrong in many other threads, also over on CF.

DSCF1539.jpg

Here are the pictures. Not many I was too busy helping and the whole thing didn't take much more than 15 minutes. Everything went very smooth. I had everything ready and staged before the help showed up. We rolled the chassis outside at the last minute because of the threat of rain.

DSCF1597.jpg

We are starting to lift the body off of the body dolly

DSCF1598.jpg

With the body high enough we rolled the dolly out and turned it on its side so we could get passed the chassis and outside out of the way

DSCF1599.jpg

We raised the body up enough to roll the chassis under it and started lowering it

DSCF1601.jpg

Body all the way down

DSCF1600.jpg

New :evil: rear spring

DSCF1606.jpg

New :evil: front springs

DSCF1605.jpg

DSCF1609-1.jpg

Can't get the bolt out to install the new shocks :rofl::blush: Looks like I'll be lifting it again just enough to correct my "little" mistake.

In closing I must say 2 years ago I was a lot more nervous lifting the body off than putting it back on a couple of days ago. Maybe I was just real lucky but I don't know how it could have gone any easier or faster. It's a pretty straight process "lift, roll, and lower".