Indy 500

BBShark

Garage Monkey
Staff member
I used to follow Indy Car racing for years until Tony George started the IRL and CART died. I watched (on and off) the race yesterday. Lots of wrecks. Even in the pits. I think there were 3 restarts in the last 10 laps. I didn't recognize 90% of the drivers names. Not much passing. Looks like the only opportunity to pass is on restarts for the first 3 cars in line (clean air).

Not like the old days at all.

Back in the 80's the 500 was a big deal. Every thing around Indianapolis was packed. Dominated the news papers in the area.

Long Indy 500 story …

In the 1980's there was a Corvette show called the Indy Nationals held about 1-2 weeks before the 500 Memorial weekend race. That show was held 15+ miles or so North of Speedway which is the town the 500 Track is actually located in. I would ship a pallet of catalogs via Roadway motor freight to their local terminal & fly out to the meet. Then take a large rented Caddy or Lincoln at the airport & pick them up at Roadway to distribute.

On Sunday the Corvette show ended early (as most do) & I'd drive South on the beltway back towards the airport and get off the exit for the 500 track. It was $5 Bucks to enter and view practice. They still had phone booths back then and I'd call my wife and have her guess where I was as the exhaust rumble could be heard in the back round. She thought the airport but it was the race cars.

When I mentioned it to my local Connecticut Chevy dealer, he had 30+ tickets and gave me some in the 3rd row behind the pits just shy of the Start-Finish line. It was unbelievable. You could not pan your head as they went by –just could not move that fast. Either watched them coming or going – but could not pan them. Saw Letterman smoozing in the pits and he was a jerk back then also before emulating Father Time. We went several times and had the same seats, except for one year in turn four.

In 1995 Corvette was the Pace Car and the manager of the Indy airport Budget Rent a Car was a customer of mine with a C3. That Budget was a GM rental store and they got the load of Corvette Pace Cars that the celebrities drove for the month of May. He told me the special Indy license plates were a favorite of thieves and they had special fasteners for them. It was another great weekend at the track. The shorter story is below.

http://www.docrebuild.com/curr-evnt/currentevents-98.html

I watched some of the highlights from this year's race. The grandstands looked full, so it still draws a crowd. But, the cars are all cookie cutters. Not like the old days.

I watched some of the highlights from this year's race. The grandstands looked full, so it still draws a crowd. But, the cars are all cookie cutters. Not like the old days.

It's looks like spec racing. I think the cars are all Dellara's. I hear they are going green with hybrid engines next year.

I went to Indy qualifying in the 60's with my dad. It was the last time Jim Hurtubese tried to qualify a front engine car. Also, the last time a stock block rear engine car qualified (Mickey Thompson?). I think the last time I was there is when Penske had the cheater pushrod engine.

Reactions: rtj
Penske with a cheater engine - you know it's only cheating if your caught.
Best Indy I remember was when Penske team (I think it was his team - CRS) came in 1-2-3 with Chevy Engines -oh yea - Chevy on the Valve Cover - and all Ilmor below that.
It's still a thrilling experience. The whole enchilada (sp?) is electric - from the Back Home in Indiana to the Fly Over to the miraculous safety in "most" critical events.
Gonna have to raise the safety barriers & tire tethers.