I finally found the bottom of my fuel tank.. Holy hell!!!

clutchdust

Millionaire Playboy
About 7-8 months ago I picked up a Suburban dirt cheap because it had cracked heads. I overhauled the motor and have been using it as my daily driver since. Up until yesterday I had never completely filled up the tank. I've thrown gas in it. $60 at first, then $80, then $100. Each time the needle would go up almost to or even just past the full mark, but it would never trip the pump handle. I had put 20 gallons in it and though, "OK, I must have a 22 gallon tank". So the next time I put 30 gallons in it and thought, "holy shit! How big is this tank?"
Yesterday I decided I'm going to fill this fucking thing up and see just how big a tank it really is. I go into the gas station and hand the clerk $120 and tell him I'm on a mission to fill this thing. $120 later, at 34.5 gallons, it still didn't click. I go back in and hand the guy ANOTHER $20 thinking there's no way it can take another gallon or two.
$5
$10
$15 (WTF?)
$16 (holy shit!)
$17 (now I'm starting to actually get concerned, I don't have another $20 to throw in it)
$18 (Oh God)
*click*
Finally shut off at $18.75.
I put $138.75 in gas in this monster. Gas here is $3.48. That's 39.9 gallons!
Oh, BTW, the truck wasn't completely empty.

40 gallon tanks - those are pretty cool if you have a diesel Suburban.

I had an 1985 - I'd get 900 miles out of a tank of fuel.... 2.73 gears, 0-60 you measure with a calendar, but only filling two times on a trip from Seattle to LA and back was pretty cool IMO

Nope. Regular unleaded. I still expect around a 700 mile range on the highway. We're planning on taking this back east in December. If I'm right, after I top off here in Vegas, we should only need one fill up between here and Memphis. Probably going to have to make one stop in Arkansas to finish, but won't need to fill for the rest of the trip.

5 gallon surge tank, 18 gal stock tank, 23 gallon cap total.....I toss in a typical 40 bux once a month, obviously the vette don't go anywhere....:shocking:

it's only a mile to the food store, burger joint, bank, parts house, it MAY get a 5 mile workout through traffic once a week.....:beer:

I was always amazed at how good of mileage the suburban got.... one tank I got 28.5 mpg - granted it was 100% highway, but it was 70 mph the entire time. The downside was I couldn't drive that far without a break.... I miss that rig, should have never sold it :(

I was always amazed at how good of mileage the suburban got.... one tank I got 28.5 mpg - granted it was 100% highway, but it was 70 mph the entire time. The downside was I couldn't drive that far without a break.... I miss that rig, should have never sold it :(

Back before ethanol ruined our MPG, and I wish our '96 Silverado could get that MPG, or even close, we getting 14 in mixed bag driving....

:shocking::pprrtt::sick:

Back before ethanol ruined our MPG, and I wish our '96 Silverado could get that MPG, or even close, we getting 14 in mixed bag driving....

6.2 diesel, NA

My current 6.2 diesel is turbo'd and it gets 20 mpg on the highway, 17 around town. (3/4 ton, 4x4, 4" lift, 33" tires)

Tank in my van is 35 gal.
Bad part is that all the stations around here cut your credit card off at 100 bucks. Try to use it twice and it won't accept it. Have to use another credit card or go to a different station.

I've got an 80 gallon tank in the bed and the factory tank is 32 gallons. I make a concerted effort to not run it very low. At $3.79 for diesel, it would leave a very big mark filling it all up. And for an 8000 pound truck, it knocks off high 17's all the time.

About 7-8 months ago I picked up a Suburban dirt cheap because it had cracked heads. I overhauled the motor and have been using it as my daily driver since.

What engine is it? 'Burbans used to have BB options. I assume you've a SB? I like the 'Burbans. Why were the heads cracked...were they aluminum? Just like to know a little more about the Burbans on the market today.

Thanks

About 7-8 months ago I picked up a Suburban dirt cheap because it had cracked heads. I overhauled the motor and have been using it as my daily driver since.

What engine is it? 'Burbans used to have BB options. I assume you've a SB? I like the 'Burbans. Why were the heads cracked...were they aluminum? Just like to know a little more about the Burbans on the market today.

Thanks

350. Guy overheated it and just threw in some of that stop-leak shit. When that didn't solve the problem he just kept filling it with tap water. Not sure, but he probably drove it like that for a couple months before the engine was truly toast.
When I pulled the heads off the part of the gasket that seals between #4 and #6 cylinder was completely gone. Looked like it burned up in a fire, which it probably did.

That reminds me some bad souvenirs,
I used to fuel my big truck, let's say at '85 cents a us gallon in Ga,
280 gals costed me a bout $240
Last time I fueled in Ca, 5 bucks a gallon at Ontario Ca truckstop.
280 gals costed me 1400 bucks,

I used to average 10000 miles a month...
Wonder why I sold the truck???

Thanks

350. Guy overheated it and just threw in some of that stop-leak shit. When that didn't solve the problem he just kept filling it with tap water. Not sure, but he probably drove it like that for a couple months before the engine was truly toast.
When I pulled the heads off the part of the gasket that seals between #4 and #6 cylinder was completely gone. Looked like it burned up in a fire, which it probably did.

I got one of them to look at soon if not today, ignorant friend of my neighbor's.......IF the truck makes it here without blowing the engine, he done the exact same shit....stop leak and been adding water....hose gone from way he talks.....freeking nitwit can't even fix a hose.....:hissyfit::pprrtt:

Bad part is that all the stations around here cut your credit card off at 100 bucks. Try to use it twice and it won't accept it. Have to use another credit card or go to a different station.

That's why I no longer do business with 7-11. They would cut my card off at $75 which doesn't cut it with a Suburban. When I complained, they would blame it on my credit card company. I even called their headquarters and got the same lame excuse. Once I confronted them with evidence that the problem was not with any of my credit card companies, they had nothing much to say but still wouldn't admit it was their policy. Good riddance.

DC

6.2 diesel, NA

My current 6.2 diesel is turbo'd and it gets 20 mpg on the highway, 17 around town. (3/4 ton, 4x4, 4" lift, 33" tires)

I have the 6.6l turbo diesel and I get around 24 hwy

That's why I no longer do business with 7-11. They would cut my card off at $75 which doesn't cut it with a Suburban. When I complained, they would blame it on my credit card company. I even called their headquarters and got the same lame excuse. Once I confronted them with evidence that the problem was not with any of my credit card companies, they had nothing much to say but still wouldn't admit it was their policy. Good riddance.

DC
I had ESSO/EXXON do the same to me

6.2 diesel, NA

I have the 6.6l turbo diesel and I get around 24 hwy

I'd love to put a 6.6 in my H3 Hummer.... not sure it'd fit, though it'd be really cool if it did