how hard to replace a 82 fender or should I just fix this one?

JeffP1167

It was damaged before I bought it and I would like to permanently fix it. Basically looks like it was filled on the back area of the wheel lip. Would a NOS press molded fender be the best choice for fit and finish or are handlaid ones good quality?

DSCF1168.jpg

Maybe I misunderstand but that pink area behind the wheel (behind the wheel towards the door) doesn't look all that bad..... just remove the filler and repair the area with mat and Evercoat SMC adhesive... (3M 8116 can be used with reinforcement mat as well) ... it might not be all that bad under the filler but you won't know until you removed it.... or can you see the filler from inside the fender ???

That fender doesn't look that bad, from the photo. Unless there is a couple pounds of filler in there, I say just fix that one. But that's just me.

the stuff inside the green circle looks pinkish to me.... it's filler, probably Bondo brand stuff.... grind it out to see how deep it is and what's under there....

the brown stuff in the blue circle looks like OEM primer to me, had the same stuff on my '79

214f20d15109a6d.jpg

the stuff inside the green circle looks pinkish to me.... it's filler, probably Bondo brand stuff.... grind it out to see how deep it is and what's under there....

the brown stuff in the blue circle looks like OEM primer to me, had the same stuff on my '79

214f20d15109a6d.jpg

that could be primer I dont remember

the the stuff in green circle is definitely TAN bondo.

Any evidence on the underside of significant damage? It's been a while but I think you could see most of that area from inside the wheelwell. That should give you an idea of the extent of the damage. Either way, I can't imagine it's all that bad. That's not a huge spot of bondo.

the tan/salmon is factory primer, my 82 had the same crap on it
\
fix the fender, much easier than replacing it