Help with a no start.

Maymyvetteliveforever

A friend is asking for help since they're stranded and need to get there Vette up and running. Suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Details:

1980 Corvette
Battery was starting to go dead.
Alternator was changed by owner which is not very diy'er.
Battery was disconnected when swap was done.
Rebuilt alternator was installed.
Battery was put on charger and fully charged.
All connections were double checked and tight.
All headlights dome lightes etc, horn, radio works fine.
Checked couple fuses but doesn't know exact location of ignition fuse or inline fuse.

Problem:

Starter will now not engage or make any sound when attempted to start. It appears as though there is no power to the starter.

Any and all suggestions would be appreciated as he needs to be mobile like yesterday since Vette is a DD.

Last edited:
So far, I've suggested to check,

Power to the starter
Power at the alternater.

I'm thinking maybe the:
inline fuse at the starter
fuse in the fuse panel
bad connection at the alternator
safety neutral switch.

ignition switch

In that order.

Unfortunatly they're not electrical savy so this may take time.

Pass side on firewall, you should see a heavy wire bundle with a white cube looking connector, right by the a/c evaporator housing, there is another bunch plugged in there, going down to the starter area, that white cube is by MOLEX and those connectors are famous for turning brown with a high resistance connection making heat in that spot, burning/melting/baking the white plastic....ME, I would pull that connector outta there and splice the wires by soldering ....I think that connector was done for assembly line convenience, earlier vettes with same essential wiring do not have it....

:shocking:

Thanks for the reply MrVette.

I'll take it that you believe it's unrelated to the alternator swap. If so then I"ll assume the connector you refer to looks like the ol style female OBD connector pinout/ALDL connection?

EDIT:

I have to go offline for a bit..........will be back later.

Thanks for the reply MrVette.

I'll take it that you believe it's unrelated to the alternator swap. If so then I"ll assume the connector you refer to looks like the ol style female OBD connector pinout/ALDL connection?

EDIT:

I have to go offline for a bit..........will be back later.

the one I"m thinking of is more square in shape with a sawtooth edge on it for orientation, can't plug in rong...and it WAS white nylon from factory, today, last one I saw was a fugly burnt brown, and yes it will kill the car entirely because there is no battery voltage available at the horn relay/alternator/regualtor/anywhere, there is a fusible link in the lower section of that harness, it COULD be blown too, but from what you saying, doubtful, unless the battery was connected and a wire off the alt output stud hit ground, made sparks, then the battery was disconnected after damnage done....:ill:

Glad to hear the Vette is up and running. However, I agree with GENE here on that plug. I need to replace my wiring harness but in the meantime, I have removed the plug and spliced and wrapped those wires individually. The connectors do get very cruddy.