Header Wrap

it's all more or less the same. If you can get a good deal, simply get it.

Thanks for the info denpo but that actually works out much more expensive since the original header wrap was for 100' and the one you posted was for 50'. I'm including shipping on both.

I had another thought in regards to header wrap, isn't it a problem when it comes to driving in the rain? Wouldn't the header wrap be a problem when it gets wet since it would ultimately cause rust on the headers in the long run?

Thanks for the info denpo but that actually works out much more expensive since the original header wrap was for 100' and the one you posted was for 50'. I'm including shipping on both.

I had another thought in regards to header wrap, isn't it a problem when it comes to driving in the rain? Wouldn't the header wrap be a problem when it gets wet since it would ultimately cause rust on the headers in the long run?
Dunno what was you shipping, but your seller was asking 27$ for shipping to Canada, 9 for mine. I bought some hi temp silicon coating spread at the same time, it's supposed to waterproof the wrap. Still got to try it out, when the car back in on piece.

Sorry denpo, I forgot to to mention I was having it shipped to the States which is about 1.5 hrs from me. I'm placing 12 other orders so it won't be a problem for US shipping. I didn't even check shipping to Canada but I appreciate you taking to time to look.

As for the "hi temp silicon coating" never heard of it, sounds like it's worth looking into.

Thanks again.

Sorry denpo, I forgot to to mention I was having it shipped to the States which is about 1.5 hrs from me. I'm placing 12 other orders so it won't be a problem for US shipping. I didn't even check shipping to Canada but I appreciate you taking to time to look.

As for the "hi temp silicon coating" never heard of it, sounds like it's worth looking into.

Thanks again.
Yeah, I guessed you was having those shipped to cont'l US.
For the coating, this is what I bought :
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=390258748267&

As stated by denpo - there is a silicone spray that is recommended. I have had my headers, which came with the car in '95, wrapped all that time with no ill effects. Any water they absorb gets burned off real quick.

I have had mine wrapped for a few years now with no ill effects. Paint the tubes with a heat, or aluminum paint before wrapping, then with a silicone heat paint over the wrap. This is a photo of my pipes after aluminum paint and before the silicone water resistant paint. I used 50 ft rolls of two inch wide wrap. All the rolls I have seen appear the same in their package.

There is a trick to making a tight wrap that hugs the pipe. First, start the wrap with one turn in a way you leave a corner sticking out. Fold the corner over the wrap and pass over it on the next turn. This will anchor it without using a tie wrap. As you go around a bend in a tube, the wrap will get baggy on the outside. To make it hug the tube, twist the wrap 180* and you will see it fits tighter. Continue wrapping and twisting as needed, but be sure you pull it as tight as possible as you proceed. Keep the 180* twists in the same location along the tube and it will look prettier. Wrap the headers before they are installed, it is much easier at this time. I did my exhaust back to the mufflers to keep my interior temps down.

You will need s/s tie wraps, Harbor Freight has packs of 25 for $5 and a good deal. There is a technique to making these tight, with a permanent lock. I used a slip joint plier pulling the tie against a screwdriver anchored on the tie, and pull and bend the loose end back and against itself. Cut the excess off leaving about 1/2 inch. Using a needle nose plier, roll the 1/2 inch stub under itself forming a tight curl and tap flat with a hammer. None of mine have ever come loose, but the self locking s/s tie wraps have.
79UndersideRestoration099.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:
Yeah, I guessed you was having those shipped to cont'l US.
For the coating, this is what I bought :
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=390258748267&
Thanks denpo, I took a look at the link and will get some.
There is a silicone spray that is recommended. I have had my headers, which came with the car in '95, wrapped all that time with no ill effects. Any water they absorb gets burned off real quick.
I would have thought the rain would eventually wash off the silcone spray but maybe you don't drive it in the rain?
I used 50 ft rolls of two inch wide wrap. All the rolls I have seen appear the same in their package.
Thanks for the instructions Red. Am I to understand that 2 rolls of 2" x 50' did the headers and most of the exhaust, enough to go past the cabin?

79UndersideRestoration099.jpg
[/IMG][/QUOTE]

Man! That looks clean enough to eat off of!

I would have thought the rain would eventually wash off the silcone spray but maybe you don't drive it in the rain?
I have driven it in the rain several times but the rear end gets loose too easy. :crap:

I used 50 ft rolls of two inch wide wrap. All the rolls I have seen appear the same in their package.
Thanks for the instructions Red. Am I to understand that 2 rolls of 2" x 50' did the headers and most of the exhaust, enough to go past the cabin?[/QUOTE]

No, it took two rolls to just do my headers. It took five, 2X50ft rolls to do the exhaust back to the mufflers.

The car has been drag raced regularly and driven to and from the tracks. One track was 3.5 hours away and it has been driven in the rain. The rain helps wash the underside, that's why it was molded smooth and painted. No trailer queen show car here.