Gathering info!

kwplot34

Heart Attack
Soon i will be stripping my car down so i can prep it for some new paint. I read the post about razor blades and some info on the net about it,seems like the way to go. What are the dangers of using a sander,i have read warnings about sanding but nothing about what to watch for or what can happen?

About the end of Oct i will be picking your brains for more info :phone:
Randy (Hammer Head) and Todd (THeiskel) are going to keep me on the right path with this.

FYI: the car will be painted black,it's factory color,but i'm kicking around the idea of adding some pearl to it and ghost flames.

The Razor blade is the way to go. But here is a tip lol. You can round off the corners of the razor blade which will reduce the chance of nicks in the glass as you go.

As for the sander well since it is not a steel car you can go into the glass pretty quick and it will tend to make a very wavy surface if you are not careful.

Kevin,

I used Razor blades to remove the paint on mine. Once you get the hang of it, it's not so hard. Some spots come off easy & others are quite difficult. Take it down to the factory primer and your good to go. Using a DA sander can get you in trouble if your not carefull. Time a patience are a must. While your waiting on the back to heal, you can scrape away. After your thru with the razor blades, by a set of Duroblock's and block sand the rest. You will surprised on how many hows you can spend on sanding.

As far as primers, go with the best you can buy. This is were to spend the extra money. I believe everyone will agree on that. I think I spent about 300.00 for the primer, and about 800.00 on base, clear, & hardners. Sandpaper was around 250.00. Hopefully this will give you some kind of budget.

Smyda gave me alot of guidance.

Hows the back doing?

Last edited:
Soon i will be stripping my car down so i can prep it for some new paint. I read the post about razor blades and some info on the net about it,seems like the way to go. What are the dangers of using a sander,i have read warnings about sanding but nothing about what to watch for or what can happen?

About the end of Oct i will be picking your brains for more info :phone:
Randy (Hammer Head) and Todd (THeiskel) are going to keep me on the right path with this.

FYI: the car will be painted black,it's factory color,but i'm kicking around the idea of adding some pearl to it and ghost flames.

I like the idea of the pearl and ghost flames...that would look really awesome.

When you get ready for Paint materials take a look at this....
http://www.southernpolyurethanes.com/homepage.htm

I personally have not used this product........YET, (But I plan to as soon as the 4x4 and Vette are ready to paint.)
Of all the forums I have looked at regarding SPI I have not found one negative response.

I called them and requested a Tech Manual........it was in my hands in 2 days...:thumbs:
I've been trying to get one from Sikkens for over an year..........NO Luck.
If a company can not give you Tech Info..........find another company.
I have a copy of PPG, Glasurit, House of Kolor .........and now SPI manuals. :)

SPI prices are reasonable.

They also have a Tech Forum that I have been impressed with............
Check It Out........http://spi.forumup.org/index.php?mforum=spi

NOTE: I highly recommend that whatever product you decide to use........
Get a TECH MANUAL for that product line. Or at least get the TECH SHEET
for the particular product your using........be it primer, clear, metal conditioner, ETC.
Don't always trust what the sales person tells you..........too many times I found
out the hard way that they didn't know "JACK" about what they are selling.

The manual will tell you proper mix ratios, air pressure, fluid tips, temps......
what you can spray it over and what you can't. What works for one product
line does not work for another.

If there is ever a warranty issue with the product with out the Tech Manual to
back you up, you will not have a leg to stand on. ;)

Last edited:
Thanks guy's :D thats some great info. I will use the razor blade to get rid of the old paint then and then block sand it. when it comes to the prep and primer and base etc: i don't plan on skimping here since i want this to turn out nice and last.
I agree the pearl with the black paint and ghost flames should look very cool.
And the back is doing pretty good,i'm in PT right now and have 2 weeks left,they are trying to get all the flex back that they can get,right now i'm at 60% and will probably only get another 5% out of it. Stamina is still not very good 2-3 hrs is about all i can get before it's time for some pain pills :cry:

Anyway thanks for the info you guys have sent,i have a shopping list to start with now and when i start working on the body i'm sure i will have more.

Thanks Guy's
Kevin

I stripped my '79 with razor blades, takes a few hours to really get good at it but it's a lot less mess that chemical stripper.

I used PPG "shopline" products and paid about $1000 for primer/sealer/base/clear. It turned out ok, next time I'll try the high dollar stuff but that's only because everybody says it's sooo much "better".... so far I'm happy with the cheaper stuff :drink:

I've also bought from TCPglobal.com, their "restauration" line paint products are reasonably priced and seem to be pretty good (used the basecoat and clear).... they also sell "Kustom shop" epoxy primers and urethane primers.... good stuff, about half the price of PPG...

I've heard good things about southernpolyurethanes.com as well....

I used PPG "shopline" products and paid about $1000 for primer/sealer/base/clear. It turned out ok, next time I'll try the high dollar stuff but that's only because everybody says it's sooo much "better".... so far I'm happy with the cheaper stuff :drink:

"Shopline" replaced "OMNI" to my understanding. I have not used the Shopline...
So I can't say Yea! or Nay! but I have used the OMNI.
My experience with the lower end products is......
They will look just fine at the completion of a project.....BUT......a couple of
years down the road is where the difference is seen. They don't tend to hold up
as well. Colors fade much quicker. The clears don't blend well. If you end up
doing any repair work down the road be prepared to do an all over paint job.

I know this doesn't mean "ALL" low end products are bad, I just prefer to shy
away from them unless proven otherwise.

JMHO..........Others May Vary.....;)

I would take of the factory primer to.

I used sanding. I sanded through the paint until I saw the primer and then handsanded it further. Came out fine.

:trumpet:purchased one of the major parts today for my face lift on the car.an Ecklers fiberglass rear bumper with a spoiler,a guy had purchased it for his car and decided not to use it and sold it to me for $270,they cost $390 :bounce:
Now i need a fiberglass ft bumper and a 1 piece indy spoiler and i'm in buisness.

Kevin,

If I'm not wrong Bird's got a spare front bumper sitting around his house. If you have the 81-82 rear bumper, you might as well have the front one to match. I have my old front 82 if you don't mind a few waves in it. I think Bird's probably looks alot better than mine though.

Kevin,

If I'm not wrong Bird's got a spare front bumper sitting around his house. If you have the 81-82 rear bumper, you might as well have the front one to match. I have my old front 82 if you don't mind a few waves in it. I think Bird's probably looks alot better than mine though.

I am replacing the ft bumper with a fiber glass one also,but i'm going to do some searching and see if i can come up with another great buy :search:
I found this one on e-bay and i was the first one to contact the seller so i got it,$336.00 total including the shipping,can't argue with that price, the same thing from ecklers is $390.00 + shipping so over $400.

Just keep in mind that putting an '80-'82 front cover on your car is going
to take some modification to the front fenders. It is NOT a straight bolt on
like the rear.

If your already aware of this..........Please disregard this post. :D

Just keep in mind that putting an '80-'82 front cover on your car is going
to take some modification to the front fenders. It is NOT a straight bolt on
like the rear.

If your already aware of this..........Please disregard this post. :D

I was not aware of that,Thank You for the info :thumbs:
I had actually planned on buying the year correct fiberglass ft end,and then install the Indy one piece spoiler.