fuel pump recommendateion

keywestjack

rplaceing my L48 with a 383, miild but not stock cam, holley 750CFM, edelbrock performer manifold with hooker headers and side pipes. I do want to keep the mechanical pump. BTW, what to do with the vapor return?

rplaceing my L48 with a 383, miild but not stock cam, holley 750CFM, edelbrock performer manifold with hooker headers and side pipes. I do want to keep the mechanical pump. BTW, what to do with the vapor return?

If emissions don't apply. Leave it disconnected and plug.

that does work, but keep in mind that return line (the vapor line, which is emissions related, is on the other side of the car) helps fight vapor lock.

I'd honestly use the stock Corvette pump - pump sizing depends on hp (basic rule the more hp, the more fuel it requires). If good estimate of your car's potential is 400 hp, the stock pump is more than enough to supply the fuel you need.

One thing you must keep in mind with a fuel pump in a C3 Vette is the hook up of the fuel lines, best advise is to use a pump that would have come on a 70 LT-1 or a 69 Z/28, this should fit properly and you would be able to hook up your fuel pipes, IF you go aftermarket the ONLY pump of choice is a CARTER, with these pumps you can clock the inlet and outlet parts of the body to allow proper hookup and they will fit in the limited clearance where the fuel pump sits. I have tried almost every pump made over the last 40+years and have found the Carter to be the best, and it will not run out of gas on long runs in high gear. When you change the pump make sure you use a lite weight fuel pump push rod as well, they help at high RPM, I have had the same Moroso Push Rod in my car for over 30 years , used it from motor to motor over the years and still NO Issues.

Last edited:
I have always run a Carter NASCAR spec fuel pump with a lightweight push rod in most of my builds (my 72 LT-1 ran 12.28@117MPH with just this pump sucking through a stock 3/8 steel fuel line.) Looks like they are getting hard to located but, here are a few: [ame]http://www.amazon.com/Carter-M60969-Mechanical-Fuel-Pump/dp/B000CIS4DA[/ame]