Flashing side marker mod

denpo

Carburated Nihilist
I had this "idea" of side markers doubling as turn signal.
I think it wouldn't hurt, lot of cars have additional turn light.
The idea seems too simple for GM not having thought about this, don't you thing so?
Would such mod be road-legal?

IF my memory serves correct, the side markers were wired across the main signal/forward light, being just a little bulb, the much lower resistance of the main forward sig bulbs would easy flash that side bulb.....

figger a 1157 bulb....two higher current bulbs......one for running, one for flash.....

so to hook the SIDE marker bulb across the two filaments of the much higher current/forward 1157 bulb....they DO flash, just not in sequence.....

:smash::thumbs:

IF my memory serves correct, the side markers were wired across the main signal/forward light, being just a little bulb, the much lower resistance of the main forward sig bulbs would easy flash that side bulb.....

figger a 1157 bulb....two higher current bulbs......one for running, one for flash.....

so to hook the SIDE marker bulb across the two filaments of the much higher current/forward 1157 bulb....they DO flash, just not in sequence.....

:smash::thumbs:

If I do it, it will be custom LED work, so the how is a detail.
I'm more focused on the why and why not.

The idea seems too simple for GM not having thought about this, don't you thing so?

Not DOT legal in the US.

Not DOT legal in the US.

:clobbered:

I don't think you are correct there man, I distinctly remember one of my GM cars having the side marker little bulb wired as I tried to explain above, from the factory, I remember going into the wiring and finding it that way.....now wether it was the '70 Pontiac, or this '72 vette, I forget....

I don't think you are correct there man, I distinctly remember one of my GM cars having the side marker little bulb wired as I tried to explain above, from the factory, I remember going into the wiring and finding it that way.....now wether it was the '70 Pontiac, or this '72 vette, I forget....

Source of information:

SAE Ground Vehicle Lighting Standards Manual HS-34

SAE J2042 Clearance, Sidemarker and Identification Lamps For Use on Motor Vehicles

Source of information:

SAE Ground Vehicle Lighting Standards Manual HS-34

SAE J2042 Clearance, Sidemarker and Identification Lamps For Use on Motor Vehicles

Can't download pdf from where I am, will have a look tonight. Thanks for the reference.

All I know is I just went out and looked,....

turn on ign, and hit signals......front yellow side markers flash in time with the 1157 bulb in front yellow rear are double 1157 per side, and of course flash, the red/rear side markers never flash, but then I pull on the lights, this makes the front side marker flash directly out of sequence with the FRONT 1157 bulb....both sides....the red/rear markers will of course come on, but never flash....rear lights are fine.....

the little 159? flat pin bulb in the front yellow markers is hooked across the to lead pins on the 1157, which explains the strange interaction of the flash sequence.....

:bump:

All I know is I just went out and looked,....

turn on ign, and hit signals......front yellow side markers flash in time with the 1157 bulb in front yellow rear are double 1157 per side, and of course flash, the red/rear side markers never flash, but then I pull on the lights, this makes the front side marker flash directly out of sequence with the FRONT 1157 bulb....both sides....the red/rear markers will of course come on, but never flash....rear lights are fine.....

the little 159? flat pin bulb in the front yellow markers is hooked across the to lead pins on the 1157, which explains the strange interaction of the flash sequence.....

:bump:

I think you are right. Reading through the spec, there is no requirement to flash but it is OK to do (with the front markers only).

I think you are right. Reading through the spec, there is no requirement to flash but it is OK to do (with the front markers only).

Well, that would be all I'd need, it's always good to know the car right on you side can see what you're planning to do.

DOT legal or not I fully support the idea. In Las Vegas at least, the drivers are so freakin brain dead self absorbed can't see outside their windows pieces of garbage that ANY extra klaxon or alarm HAS to be an advantage.

I wish we were allowed to shoot cellphones out of the Dipshits ear!

DOT legal or not I fully support the idea. In Las Vegas at least, the drivers are so freakin brain dead self absorbed can't see outside their windows pieces of garbage that ANY extra klaxon or alarm HAS to be an advantage.

I wish we were allowed to shoot cellphones out of the Dipshits ear!

Last December 15th, some asshole hit my wife who was standing in traffic, at 45mph.....her only new car she managed to buy in her LIFE, was instantly totalled, she more upset over that than herself, all busted up in the hospital, and still has pains from the beating she took, just have to KNOW the cock sucker was texting, it was broad daylight.....NO fucking excuse.........

damn crap, and in FLORIDA we got screwed over royally by all the insurance companies.....this no fault bullshit is the worst bunch of legislation ever passed by ANY state.....

:hunter::club:

Well, that would be all I'd need, it's always good to know the car right on you side can see what you're planning to do.

Hell, I'd be happy if we could just get people to use the ones they have.