Finally

smog legal engine swaps are easy, I had a 82 trans am that marck bought and I changed every possible thing over to 1990 and didnt even referee the car. It passed visual since it still looked carburated and sniffer it passed with ease as well.

as long as the donor engine is 1 year newer and of the same chassis (passenger car/light truck/heavy truck) meaning only smog legal swap you can do in a passenger car is a donor passenger car engine. Then you need all donor car emission control and take to referee and after it passes they put a label in your door jamb and this tells any smog station they can smog it.

It is pretty simple to swap ....and the IM240 is way easier to pass then the old system.

All I ever do is just toss a new cat on every 2 years and I have never failed screw tune-ups and all that crap a new converter will make any gross polluter pass

Something us Kalifornians can jamb into a 1976 and later Vette, and not fight the smog nazis:
http://www.chevroletperformance.com/erod/

You still have to go to a referee after putting it in so whats the difference in that verses buy a wrecked donor car with everything?

When you get as old as me, the idea of a brand new kit with all the necessary parts gets apealing.
I do not even know of many scrap yards around here anymore.
Comes with only what's necessary, a CARB sticker, and calibrated for it's use. You do need a later computer controlled tranny to make it a complete system though.
I just think it's neat that GM has addressed the problem at the factory.

Last edited:
My son up there in Berzerkly has gotten a LS engine from Penseycola Florida, 500 bux, WITH shipping believe it or not, so he waiting for a buddy to get his hauler diesel with BRAKES ready to flatbed his gal's Grandfather's '55-56? chebby pickup from near the Nevada border.....to do the nasty, get that old 6 cyl p/u on the road yet again....the OEM 6 is of course toast, the tranny is too, but methinks he wants to give that a go, but a chick at 5'5" ain't going to be able to drive that, one thing is they don't need a/c so that makes it much simpler.....U guys are MUCH further along on the later tech shit, and I need get him on here to ask questions.....dunno if he wants to though....

:smash::surrender:

totally unrelated, but I may be moving to California in the near future; and I bought my 75 Corvette so I wouldn't have to deal with the smog nazis.... of course I also removed the A/C, took out the power steering, put a black interior in the car, and am replacing the automatic with a manual transmission (can I get a d'oh from the audience? :crap:)