effect of crimped "S" fuel pump line.

bobs77vet

well i hate to admit this but how ever many years ago when i changed the fuel pump.... it may even have been when i swapped engines... the old "S" hose crapped out and i grabbed some 3/8 hose and used that ....now the car has run very well for those 7-8 years and has always been really strong and i have used both a speed demon and a Q Jet. but this week i swapped the old 3/8 hose with the molded "S" hose. to my surprise the old hose was pretty well collapsed where it was kinked. so i went out today and did what any one else would do....STOMPED the CRAP out of the pedal to see if WOT was any different....i believe it was, i think even though the car has run really strong before i think its even more powerful now.

now i know i had good flow before because the speed demon had site glass on the 4 corners for the float bowls so i know at idle and just revving it in the driveway i didnt have any starvation issues and with the 700r4 and the 3.08s in real world driving you would run out of speed limit before you ranout of power. any body have any thoughts if the kinked line would actually make a difference?

If the line closed up completely, you'd run out of gas. Even if it's just restricted, odds are the pump would pull enough to keep the carb, at least, full enough to run.

I've seen dozens of threads everyplace about guys running some very expensive fuel system parts on the street. Can't see any real reason myself. AS long as the carb keeps enough gas in it to have the jets are covered, I don't think iot'll make much difference.
Probably make a difference if you were running 6500 RPM for a couple of hours without a break.

I would add I bought the "S" style hoses from brand "X", and they cracked in a year. The "S" hoses from Doc are 8 years old, and look new to this day. My 2 centavos.:D

I would add I bought the "S" style hoses from brand "X", and they cracked in a year. The "S" hoses from Doc are 8 years old, and look new to this day. My 2 centavos.:D

NO surprise there, but I have had issues in the WAY past, and never figgered on the freeking fuel hose closing up under pump suck pressures, it was a '67 Grand Prix 400 engine....I put a Carter pump in the trunk, and cured my problems....AFB carb, dearly loved that setup, went on many a successive Pontiac over some 20? years through many friends owning part/them///been a while....:bonkers::hi:

well my number two son confirmed my thoughts and he thinks that the car also has more power, the real test will be tomorrow when my oldest son comes over and test drives it, next to me he has driven the car the most, and i am sure he has beat on it more. we are talking a small but noticable increase, as i said before the car has always had lots of power so what ever flow we had put as at 90-95% of the power we have now.

Years ago I did the same thing with my 72, just used some common fuel line. I didn't realize it at first but the WOT was choking out real bad, replaced the line with the correct S hose and solved the problem.

gary is that you??? how have you been? long time no talk to....

same symptons as mine but i think as the kinked line aged and the internal resistance to bending started to fade it reduced the flow even more. not enough for me catch but i did think something was holding me back but could never put my finger on it.

Last edited: