Door lock compatibility

denpo

Carburated Nihilist
Ok, I'm pretty sure of the answer but better safe than sorry.
Between '78 and '79, they only changed the design of the ignition lock cylinder, the door lock cylinders remained the same, right?

It's my best guess, but I think they're the same. I rebuilt a pair for a '79 this yr.
What are you doing with them?
My car's a '76 under full resto, I will keep the doors but I will put a '80 column (shorter, light switch at the column) since my original column is as joke (huge play, lots of missing parts).
From what I understand I can't install my '76 ignition lock cylinder into the '80 column, so my only option is to buy a new late C3 lock set if I want one key for all.

The key lock is the last piece still in attached to the door I'm restoring right now, I'll remove it this weekend and post pics to compare.

From what I understand I can't install my '76 ignition lock cylinder into the '80 column, so my only option is to buy a new late C3 lock set if I want one key for all.

Huh? I have an 81, and the ignition and door are two different keys. A locksmith could key any cylinders alike.:huh2:

Huh? I have an 81, and the ignition and door are two different keys. A locksmith could key any cylinders alike.:huh2:
Two different keys, is that a normal setup or something got changed in you car at some point?
What you mean by "to key alike", do you mean the cylinder could be reconfigured to accept another key? That would a neat solution.

Two different keys, is that a normal setup or something got changed in you car at some point?
What you mean by "to key alike", do you mean the cylinder could be reconfigured to accept another key? That would a neat solution.

Your initial reply confused me too.
First off, on our C3's (and GM products of the time) there are 2 separate keys. One for ign cyl, and one for the door lock cyl. That was std fare.
I don't think you'll be able to make them use one common key. It's not the tumbler work as much as the key side slotting that is different. The way to verify this is to see if the keys will insert into both the ign & door lock cylinders. If not, the side slotting differs, and you'll have to go with 2 diff keys.
Hope this helps out. :mobeer:

Your initial reply confused me too.
First off, on our C3's (and GM products of the time) there are 2 separate keys. One for ign cyl, and one for the door lock cyl. That was std fare.
I don't think you'll be able to make them use one common key. It's not the tumbler work as much as the key side slotting that is different. The way to verify this is to see if the keys will insert into both the ign & door lock cylinders. If not, the side slotting differs, and you'll have to go with 2 diff keys.
Hope this helps out. :mobeer:

Ok, learned something here.
My '76 had one key for all, someone probably did change them at some point in the car's life.
Looks like I'm gonna keep the '76's key for the door, and the '80's one for the column.
Thanks guys.

And right behind that, Jim Shea, (jimL82) could tell you if the lock cylinders are physically interchangeable between the 77 and 81 columns.

They're not all the same. The cars with anti tampering on the doors have longer cyls where a rotation sensor is installed. These trigger the slarm if you force the barrel to turn with a screwdriver. The retainer clip on those has a break contact aswell that trips if you pop the entire cyl out. This either started in 78 or 79 if I'm not mistaken

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

Oh guys, that's embarrassing :sweat::blush:
I dug up the keys.... you are right, two different keys.
Truth is I spent much more time with my Vette as pile of parts than as a complete car, still, my apologies for the wasted time and thanks for sorting out my mess.
:noob::tomato:

Oh guys, that's embarrassing :sweat::blush:
I dug up the keys.... you are right, two different keys.
Truth is I spent much more time with my Vette as pile of parts than as a complete car, still, my apologies for the wasted time and thanks for sorting out my mess.
:noob::tomato:

Eh, you a mess that will be never straightened out, blame it on your heritage....

:smash::smash::loveletter::thumbs::harhar: