Dick Thompson dies.

Well, not surprising, may he RIP the man did good......

and one of my oldest buddies used to be a patient of his, and even went to Sebring with him many times ....decades ago.....

:cool::(

Last edited:
i met him in the 70's a couple times . he knew Bob Rosenthal really well and thats who introduced me to him. i guess we can't be here forever but he was an accomplished racer for sure.

This from my buddy......

Yes, thank you, I learned about Dick's death the other day and have been thinking back about all the opportunities he gave me to watch and learn, and to meet the greats of road-racing. And he was a damn fine dentist too! The last of his fillings installed around 1962 really didn't need any work when my current dentist insisted on replacing them a few years ago. It is such a shame that I was really too young to appreciate meeting the likes of John Fitch, Sterling Moss, Jim Hall, etc. on my various trips to Sebring as Dick's guest (and occasional pitcrew).

:amazed:

Larry has been into Chrysler/Mutsobitchy and been a frequent SCCA racer up/down the coast for decades, but his prime driver buddy Anna has just lost it due to health reasons, so they shut down the racing, he used to drive a whole series of various Mopars Challengers, Chargers, saved the 440 engine out of this old tow car, still have that monster posi rear that thing came with it's under a 3/4 ton van, old '85 Dodge passenger van I used for a work truck nearly 20 years run the sox off that thing, the OEM small diffy blew up but good one day, tossed the cross shaft into the pinion gear, I slid about a mile at 30 mph.....lady behind me about missed by a hair....I backed it up, and nursed it home at 5mph for about 6 miles......ME, my first ride was a '60 vette in '66 and going by the local chebby dealer, I ran into an old HS friend who also had a 58/61 patch together vette, so that's how I met Larry.....that old HS friend was a mass murderer as the late 60's proved out.....do a Google on the name William Dean Christiansen.....that's a shocker.....

Larry still lives in the DC region, I of course moved to Florida back in '97, we see each other every few years though...still on email and phone to keep up the laughs.....

Last edited:
i moved down here about 96. i had been a very active Drag Racer running a couple different Mountain Motor Pro- Stock cars in IHRA. I knew most of the big name guys up there and stay in touch with a few. met a lot of Racers from different venues. Lenny Pond ran Grand National Stock Cars and took my 66 Hemi Charger 4 speed for a ride i won't soon forget ( about 1979) through him met Maurice Petty, what a great engine builder. funny the D.C area had some of the best Racers in the country. a former Division 1 NHRA director once told me the guys from that area were the toughest competitors.
i was indeed fortunate to have been around then.