'Coupla Qjet questions

mike76c3

1) Is this a divorced choke?

thum_57250865cba34f1f.jpg

2) If so, can I use something like this to convert it to electric?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/jet-201355/

I have a new Edlebrock Performer intake to put on, and would like not to have to acquire and install new tubes (the old ones suck, plus I can't get the bolts loose).

Thanks,
Mike

NO, that is not a divorced choke, that summit kit will work fine for you.....

A divorced choke is a box setting on the manifold, with the bi metal temp spring in it, and a arm/link going to the choke lever on the carb.....:cool:

I'm concerned that there's no CARB number on that choke. If your vette is old enough, no big deal; but if not - you may want to ask the referees before you spend the money and time.

As for stuck bolts - heat is your friend, get your welding tip out for your oxy/act. torches and heat the offending part almost red. Of course, be careful :)

I'm concerned that there's no CARB number on that choke. If your vette is old enough, no big deal; but if not - you may want to ask the referees before you spend the money and time.

As for stuck bolts - heat is your friend, get your welding tip out for your oxy/act. torches and heat the offending part almost red. Of course, be careful :)

You know, I"m lazy and cheep, so I would take the car for a short run of a couple miles, get engine warmed up good.....pop the hood, and put a fresh ice cube on the bolt head, wait for the 'KLINK" sound....get a wrench on the SOB ...NOW@!!!!! bet it comes out easy.....

you want the BOLT to shrink wile the surrounding metal to be hotter'n hell....

been working exhausting systems like that for years....

God, I"m Lazy.....:thumbs:

It's a 76, and I'm in So. Cal., so CARB EO numbers matter. However, I only have to take it to a test station, so I don't think the techs there would notice.

In other threads about chokes, for people in warm climate areas, one recommendation was just to wire the choke open. I'm wondering if I can get by for now by doing that. A block-off plate came with the intake. The only thing I can see is that I would have to cap off the tube that comes out of the bottom of the choke. Not the most elegant solution, but I wouldn't have to figure out how and where to run the wire for the electric version.

I decided not to put any effort into getting the old tubes off the old intake as they would kind of take some of the luster off the new intake. Good tip though on using ice (or an upside down can of Dust-Off) on a warm bolt, as I don't have a "heat wrench".

Mike

P.S. I'm trying to talk myself into taking the carb to SMI in H.B. or The Carb Shop in Santa Ana to get it rebuilt while it's off the car. I'm tempted to try it myself, but I'm not sure if I have the patience to take that on right now.

If you go w/electric, don't forget to block off the vacuum source for the hot air (inside the choke housing). I removed the housing, tapped the hole and plugged with an allen screw and sealer.
009-4.jpg

Also, don't forget to cap off the intake for the hot air choke on the rear of the carb, behind the secondary air flaps. Again, I opted to tap and plug.
008-5.jpg

Don't use a gasket on the electric choke; it needs the housing as a ground.

LONG ago I did good business with a man who owned a place called Carb Shop in California.....but it's been LONG time now...and so I know he passed on, and dunno about any subsequent owners/business....can't remember his name...but would know it if seeing it.....:zzz: