Convert rear glass to open?

Not anymore, the CE stuff was actually an aftermarket kit before it got implemented on the CE. Sadly it's long gone.

IF it is possible to drill a standard coupe rear glass then the conversion should be fesible using C4-5-6 parts.

I believe the issue is drilling tempered glass. Some say yah, some say nay.

When I get my 2000 Mustang GT donor car stripped out Iam going to try a reported succesful technique for drilling holes in tempered glass.

Please report on how it works, interested in this. Hadn;t thought about the C4 parts but the hinge on a C4 is part of the roof bow so on a C3 you'll need to cut the fiberglass and do some welding to the birdcage there.

I have not researched the individual parts for fitment.
The C5/6 hinges may work,struts from the C5/6 should work.
The latch mechanism I don't know. I am only familiar with the C4 latch.
I see no reason to use dual latches like the '82 CE had.

None that I am aware of. I got all my pieces from ebay and Carlisle

Artsvettes,
Did you do anything to counter the constant pressure from the gas shocks forcing the glass backwards that causes the hinges to stretch and then the hatch to jamb ? This is a problem with all CEs especially when the gas shocks have been replaced with the newer stronger ones.

I have been dealing with the glass company that made the rear windows for the C4's at work. I talked with their rep that has been there for 20 some years and he gave me a lesson on how this glass is made, it was very interesting to say the least.

I have his card and would be more than willing to call him and see what hos input is on drilling the glass. I am sure he would know if it could be done and what the best way to do it is.

I have been dealing with the glass company that made the rear windows for the C4's at work. I talked with their rep that has been there for 20 some years and he gave me a lesson on how this glass is made, it was very interesting to say the least.

I have his card and would be more than willing to call him and see what hos input is on drilling the glass. I am sure he would know if it could be done and what the best way to do it is.

I am sure there are a number of us that would appreciate you making that call.

That drilling is interesting, just for the information....I know my side windows are supposed to be tempered, yet they got chipped on the upper/forward corners due to P/Owner putting screws in the weatherstriping which I removed...yet the glass is intact....I"m scared of trying to smooth it out though...more scared of the glass going everywhere and giving me one HELL of a cleanup job....dealt with that years ago....I DWanna go there again....

I do wonder if some clips and a really nice epoxy wouldn't work good....:drink:

I wil get ahold of him and see what information I can get!

I wil get ahold of him and see what information I can get!

Awesome! :bounce:

That drilling is interesting, just for the information....I know my side windows are supposed to be tempered, yet they got chipped on the upper/forward corners due to P/Owner putting screws in the weatherstriping which I removed...yet the glass is intact....I"m scared of trying to smooth it out though...more scared of the glass going everywhere and giving me one HELL of a cleanup job....dealt with that years ago....I DWanna go there again....

I do wonder if some clips and a really nice epoxy wouldn't work good....:drink:

This can be filed out with a jewelers file.

If we could find a source of pexiglass rear windows, they could be drilled easily and be very light too. win/win.
Bee Jay

I was finally able to get ahold of the glass guy and talk to him about this. He advised me there is no way to drill this glass without it breaking. He did advise you can drill the glass however he told me (in technical words I did not understand) it has to do with the way the pressure in the glass is distributed (putting it in terms I can understand) and when you drill into the class you are changing those properties and chances are it will pop.

He did say if somebody were to try it the only way he would do it would be in a mill with a wet grinding stone bit. He advised IF you were able to support the back of the glass and grind (not drill) a hole through it "might" have a better chance of staying in 1 piece. This is NO guarantee and would only be a better option to drilling.