Condition of my wiring

greg75vette

The Traffic Baron
Yet another wiring question, bare with me...

As I was checking out how to wire up my start and alt, I took a good look at my wiring and I'm not sure it's in the best shape. The insulation is still flexible and isn't cracking. However, I have some things I'm not sure are repairable.

First up is one of my alt wires has a grinder burn (I did it...) through the insulation:
IMG_20110726_180655.jpg

Can I throw some shrink wrap on it and call it a day?

Next up is a joint between my two alternator wires. It looks factory, but I kinda doubt it. The black on the insulation, I believe, is from the fabric like tape that covered the joint:
IMG_20110726_180705.jpg

This normal and/or safe? Throw some tape or shrink wrap over it and call it?

Last up is my starter wiring. I have a bare spot in the purple wire and are the two reds supposed to be like that?
IMG_20110726_180917.jpg
IMG_20110726_180939.jpg

Can I throw some shrink wrap over it and call it?

The final question is where do you guys get your high quality ring terminals and crimpers? All I really have is the el cheapo types you can pick up anywhere.

I'm looking for honest opinions here. I would prefer not to replace the engine harness because the rest looks great, but if it isn't safe, then so be it. Thanks again for the help guys.

Yet another wiring question, bare with me...

As I was checking out how to wire up my start and alt, I took a good look at my wiring and I'm not sure it's in the best shape. The insulation is still flexible and isn't cracking. However, I have some things I'm not sure are repairable.

First up is one of my alt wires has a grinder burn (I did it...) through the insulation:
IMG_20110726_180655.jpg

Can I throw some shrink wrap on it and call it a day?

Next up is a joint between my two alternator wires. It looks factory, but I kinda doubt it. The black on the insulation, I believe, is from the fabric like tape that covered the joint:
IMG_20110726_180705.jpg

This normal and/or safe? Throw some tape or shrink wrap over it and call it?

Last up is my starter wiring. I have a bare spot in the purple wire and are the two reds supposed to be like that?
IMG_20110726_180917.jpg
IMG_20110726_180939.jpg

Can I throw some shrink wrap over it and call it?

The final question is where do you guys get your high quality ring terminals and crimpers? All I really have is the el cheapo types you can pick up anywhere.

I'm looking for honest opinions here. I would prefer not to replace the engine harness because the rest looks great, but if it isn't safe, then so be it. Thanks again for the help guys.

If you want to make the burn look pretty and water proof it a little better, use some clear silicone to fill the void and then shrink tube, couple layers if desired.

That's a factory splice, known as a parallel or lap splice. Much better than butt splices for multiple wires. They used the old cloth friction tape, then the non adhesive harness tape. 3M makes a nice rubber tape now, or you can use hockey stick tape. Then I would heat shrink that too.

Bare spots just twist the loose strands tight again and a little tape and shrink wrap.
I would get rid of the purple wire connector and crimp and solder an eyelet to the end and shrink seal it instead. Gets rid of another weak point.
The two fusible links are factory, but I would cut off the crimp insulaton , solder the eyelet crimp and shrink wrap it.

Buy the good 3M elec tape, with a little practice you will do much better than the wrap shown in the 3rd pic. If you really want to get fancy, get the none adhesive harness tape.

If you plan far enough ahead, and get the shrink tubing on there in the right place, it makes an excellent sealer for the end of the wrapping tape so it doesn't unravel later on.

Most real electrical supplies have good crimp terminals, I prefer the non insulated that I crimp, solder and heat shrink.

PS
While you're into that harness, beef up your black ground wire to a 10 or 12ga. You'll find another lap connection there too. Wiper motor and relays can stay as is.
Especially the blower and headlite circuit can use it.

Alright cool. I can do that, no worries. Happy to hear the harness looks ok. Thanks again. You've been a big help!

Noonie is spot on. As for connectors, get a name brand such as Burndy, Thomas and Betts, 3M. If it does not show a name brand, it's cheap crap.
Thomas and Betts make the best crimping tools. Gardner Bender is not too bad.
Once you crimp it, try to pull it apart. If you can, it's crap.
I only solder connections like sensors, or anything 2v or less. DO NOT use acid core solder or flux. ONLY rosin core.

Quote: "Next up is a joint between my two alternator wires. It looks factory, but I kinda doubt it. The black on the insulation, I believe, is from the fabric like tape that covered the joint"

That pic looks to be the main splice hub, and it is factory. That splice feeds the majority of the electrical system. Battery charging, and all running electrical is routed thru that splice. It's crimped and soldered. It's reliable and works ok. But if you're planning to add electrical accessories in the future, I would substitute it for a PDC (power distribution center) or better buss bar.

Guess I'm the fussy one to ask when it comes to electrical, as I'd replace that chaffed wire with one of larger gauge.
In the same stroke, I would upgrade the entire return path (ground) as well, as this only makes good sense.

I like to solder the majority of connections.
Search the .net for how-to's on soldering.
I don't care for PVC (common auto parts offering) replacement wire. I use cross liked polyethylene insulation, as I feel it's better quality and lasts longer.
I've used the Scotch line of electrical tapes for many years, and swear by it. 3M makes a good product also.
On any crimp connectors that you use, be sure to crimp opposite the seam (if it has one). As posted, tug on 'em to check for good retention.
Here's my supplier for all my electrical supplies. They have crimping and electrical tools as well. I'm due to make my annual stock up trip soon.
http://terminalsupplyco.com
:beer:

Last edited: