Clearcoat on headlight lens

MYBAD79

Following up on discussion about clearcoating plastic lenses: the headlight lens on the photo below was yellow and also had a few scratches, I sanded with 600 grit wet and then sprayed a few coats clear. I added a little bit of black tint in the first coat, almost not noticeable . This was done about 2 years ago, the clearcoat is holding up to the FL sun and plenty of highway driving.

photo_zpsae0d6535.jpg

What kind of clearcoat? stuff I would have to use out of a spray gun? or maybe some sort of aerosol can by one of the cheap paint companies at a O'Reilly's parts house....??

is it laquer, enamel or urethane???

:eek:

Often we post our brand new mods, but it's also invaluable to have update on how those age.
Thanks for sharing Karsten.

No rattle can stuff...... Urethane clear, same clear you use in base/clear systems. I used PPG shopline but I really like SPI (Southernpolyurethane.com).

it gives it a very slight smoke tint, if you just use a tiny bit it looks still clear but more into the "blue". I did the same on my C6, the plastic lens does not "stand out" as much as a stock lense.

214869564440187.jpg

and after:

214962b179dd332.jpg

Last edited:
well, the actual purpose of this thread was to show that this really works and holds up to the elements for years.... lol .... here's the set of foglights I did in 2009, they still look like new .... this photo was taken the day I painted the lens, it sure is one of my better paintjobs.... not buffed, this is straight out the gun..... this would be too much tint for headlights though :D

2148e964cf1cc03.jpg