breaker! breaker

kwplot34

Heart Attack
A buddy of mine works at a GM dealership as a parts manager,they are cleaning out the store rooms to get ready to move into a new building. He has brought home some cool old GM signs,parts,pamphlets,and this CB radio which he gave to me and some other stuff.
Anybody have any info on this? i have the wiring and mic,not sure if it works or not,we were mostly curious if this came out in any cars. Anybody??
384fe660e28d4a5.jpg
384fe660ffc1093.jpg

Looks like an old Johnson 23- even before I looked at the 2nd picture. I'd be interested in any of the signs. I have that 4' one in the garage but there might be some more.

ANy '69 literature in the pile?

He works at Dave Cross, and they were never a vette dealership,so no vette stuff :cry:
Any idea if that CB was installed in cars from the factory,or what year it might be?

These CB radios were either installed by the dealership or sold over-the-counter in the late 1960s to mid 1970s GM. It was manufactured for GM by the E.F. Johnson company. It is the popular model 123A repackaged for GM. You can either install them in your car or you were able to set it up as a home-based system using a Regulated power supply along with a home-based antenna. The most common problem with these CB radios was that the channel dial would crack and separate from the shaft resulting in misalignment of the shaft and the channel dial. For example you can be on channel 18 and dial could read channel 12.

Last edited:
Do people still use CB's these day's? I pitched a nice old cobra that I used to use back then. Haven't been on the CB airwaves in many years. Mobile phone technology seems to have replaced them i think. Kevin, you might be talking to yourself. :lol:

I think a lot of truckers still use them, I have a few from when I cleaned out mom's house. they haven't been used since dad passed in 99

Do people still use CB's these day's? I pitched a nice old cobra that I used to use back then. Haven't been on the CB airwaves in many years. Mobile phone technology seems to have replaced them i think. Kevin, you might be talking to yourself. :lol:

:crutches::D You about right, these daze, back 40? years ago, CB had higher output at 5 watts? and so they cut down the range and bandwidth, and limited the power to 2.5? watts as I recall.....so 'breaker-breaker 1,9 ' wheeler going (opposite direction to you) and all that Burt Reynolds Smokey crap was not SO very far fetched from the truth.....I remember the later 70's and having a CB doing the same shit, not so very long before the movie came out....been a while....:crutches:

I dunno about the compatibility of those older units these daze....but surely even with the re allocation of all the freq's by FCC and the grossly increased demands....I wonder about the legality of them old units....the skirts on the Xmit not so cool, much less receive....them made before any SAW filters ever invented, much less computer chip controlled PLL for the front ends....

:crutches::(

I am used to talking to myself LOL i can talk to myself on an old Midland CB i have in the basement,think it was made in 1974

Close there Gene, 5 watts was the legal output, but if I'm remembering right that Johnson 23 with an output transistor change would kick out about 10. Heck of a good radio. So far, the FCC hasn't jacked around with that freq/bandwidth, but lots of guys are in there with sideband that walks all over the center of the channel. Truckers are still using them too.

Close there Gene, 5 watts was the legal output, but if I'm remembering right that Johnson 23 with an output transistor change would kick out about 10. Heck of a good radio. So far, the FCC hasn't jacked around with that freq/bandwidth, but lots of guys are in there with sideband that walks all over the center of the channel. Truckers are still using them too.

Gotta be kidding, 30 years....still legal?? wooda never guessed....:nuts::clobbered::huh:

If you do buy a CB radio/transceiver just don't hook it up to an antenna and think it's going to work the best it ever will..you're mistaken. For my 69 Corvette I used a Marine whip antenna since I didn't have a ground plane. Poor performance on transmitting. I took it to a radio shop, and they did a VSWR (voltage standing wave reflection) measurement and then tuned it. The improvement was just fantastic.

If you do buy a CB radio/transceiver just don't hook it up to an antenna and think it's going to work the best it ever will..you're mistaken. For my 69 Corvette I used a Marine whip antenna since I didn't have a ground plane. Poor performance on transmitting. I took it to a radio shop, and they did a VSWR (voltage standing wave reflection) measurement and then tuned it. The improvement was just fantastic.

What a flash back. I had an SWR meter years ago.:)
AND a Cobra power mic.

AND a Cobra power mic.

:smash: GEEK, U2 eh??:hissyfit:

AND a Cobra power mic.

I think I have them now from all the stuff from Dad

AND a Cobra power mic.

I think I have them now from all the stuff from Dad

One of Dad's last cars had a factory CB in it....'79? '77?.....he never used it,

cute lick at the time....35 years ago....

:amazed::hissyfit: