Bondo junk ...

MYBAD79

I bought some Bondo body filler, usually I get the yellow "professional grade" stuff for $20 a QT but this time I knew I needed a bit more so I bought the cheaper Bondo for $14 a QT (3M #262), this is the stuff that turns pink with the hardener...... my plan was to use the cheaper stuff first and then the better Bondo for the final coat..... well, the only thing this crap is good for is clogging up sandpaper, this stuff doesn't sand at all, even 100 grit paper is clogged after a few strikes. And yes, used enough hardener and let it cure a while... first I thought it wasn't enough hardener so I used some more and let it sit over night.... still doesn't sand without clogging up paper, might try wetsanding......
well...... as they say: you get what you pay for, never had an issue with the yellow Bondo...... :evil::shocking::crap:

Last edited:
I'm fairly sure that the Bondo brand bondo recommends 80 grit for its first go around. I use a cheese grater as my first pass to get the shiny film off (or 40 grit). After that it seems to sand fine... and no, it's not the yellow stuff - that's good sh*t :)

I also wouldn't use it as a first coat - and I use that stuff on a regular basis... but then again, I'm a hack :eek:

Just last night it actually clogged up 80 grit.... it's a waste of good sandpaper but at this point wasting sandpaper seems better than buying another QT of the yellow bondo for $20..... I would have way too much leftover because I still have half a QT of the grey/pink stuff.....
To make the dilemma even worse: I just saw a whole gallon of Rage Extreme on Amazon for $51 incl free shipping..... wish i had bought that a month ago...... :banghead::banghead:

Bondo is polyester based resin and has a relatively short shelf life, just a few months for optimal results.
Always buy from a busy autobody supplier even for a few bucks extra. Well worth it considering paint costs and labor time , even if it fails in future.
Some fillers sand better than others, but it's easy to tell the difference.

Just last night it actually clogged up 80 grit.... it's a waste of good sandpaper but at this point wasting sandpaper seems better than buying another QT of the yellow bondo for $20..... I would have way too much leftover because I still have half a QT of the grey/pink stuff.....
To make the dilemma even worse: I just saw a whole gallon of Rage Extreme on Amazon for $51 incl free shipping..... wish i had bought that a month ago...... :banghead::banghead:

that is an amazing price, I'd be really tempted but I'm at least a year away from another body in need of bondo (woohoo)

first I want to see how the current engine runs, for all I know it's a 1600cc stock engine but I have no clue what the previous owner(s) did to it.... keep in mind one of the POs installed homemade floorboards with pop rivets, sheetmetal screws and two gallons silicone caulking that we normally use for shower tub installations..... I know the engine ran back in 2007/2008 when I bought the Ghia ..... no idea what's in there

I might get the 2000cc stroker kit - that combination is longest stroke and medium size bore, with a bigger bore the walls get very thin....

about weight: yes, cannot add too much Bondo , otherwise I might have to ditch the carpet or leave the tank only half full to reduce weight .... :crylol:

What are you work'n on now?? If it's the vette, I'd go the West Systems route...

My Karmann Ghia ... I just bought a new roof section and welded it....

Cool, your putting a big block in it right?? :D

in VW speak, BB is 1800cc.

I know, but I was speaking Chevy! :D

I would have to modify the suspension for the additional weight.... that BB weighs more than the rest of the car.....:cry::waxer:

you know i use the fiberglass gorilla hair for my first fill....and then move to bondo only for the last small fills. I just find that the fiber glass is stickier then dog snot and it seems more dense to me and i have never had it "unstick" it self even with incredible flexing. i guess my technique has gotten alot better because i never use it cover big dents or impressions. did you post any pictures on the project. these karmen ghias are growing on me as I look at them more, the same thing happened with the 78+ vettes they grew on me the more i looked at them.

did you post any pictures on the project. these karmen ghias are growing on me as I look at them more, the same thing happened with the 78+ vettes they grew on me the more i looked at them.

yes, I posted a few updates... it's in the "other cars" section

My Karmann Ghia ... I just bought a new roof section and welded it....

Cool, your putting a big block in it right?? :D

in VW speak, BB is 1800cc.

I know, but I was speaking Chevy! :D

I would have to modify the suspension for the additional weight.... that BB weighs more than the rest of the car.....:cry::waxer:

BIGGER wheels/tires/brakes......:clap: