bonding adhesive

wolf

hi everyone,
i have to bond a piece of fibre glass to the inner fender of my vette.
what bonding adhesive to use?
some talk about fusor 127 or 3m 8116 but can't find these in europe. no shipping possible by air from the us.
is there a corresponding adhesive on the european market?
thanks
:beer:

8116 is apparently better for SMC, although I used 8115 on all my body mods without any problems at all - that shit is stuck for ever.

3M don't recommend it as a filler but I used it in small amounts to fill screw holes and gouges and it doesn't appear to swell in the heat (and it's damn hot out here) although it has sunk a little around my fuel cap mod.

Someone else on the forum said that 3M says to use epoxy primer over the 8115 and let it cure for (at least) 7 days. If you're not painting over it though, I guess that won't concern you.

8116 is apparently better for SMC, although I used 8115 on all my body mods without any problems at all - that shit is stuck for ever.

3M don't recommend it as a filler but I used it in small amounts to fill screw holes and gouges and it doesn't appear to swell in the heat (and it's damn hot out here) although it has sunk a little around my fuel cap mod.

Someone else on the forum said that 3M says to use epoxy primer over the 8115 and let it cure for (at least) 7 days. If you're not painting over it though, I guess that won't concern you.

I have used the 3M 8115 for filling up small screw holes and it was swelling like hell when temps got to 30°C. Even when the car was in the spray booth, it showed up. We had to grind it all out and repair it before the car was finally painted. All the spots would disappear when the body cooled down.

However, i must add, that the original bonding seams of the C3 showed up on my car also.

If used in places that are not on the surface of the car, i guess it's ok.

I have used the 3M 8115 for filling up small screw holes and it was swelling like hell when temps got to 30°C. Even when the car was in the spray booth, it showed up. We had to grind it all out and repair it before the car was finally painted. All the spots would disappear when the body cooled down.

However, i must add, that the original bonding seams of the C3 showed up on my car also.

I remember you saying that. But my car's in temps up to 50°C and after reading your thread, I checked my repairs and none had swelled at all. I wonder if you had a duff batch? Did you use more than one cartridge?

I remember you saying that. But my car's in temps up to 50°C and after reading your thread, I checked my repairs and none had swelled at all. I wonder if you had a duff batch? Did you use more than one cartridge?

I wondered the same thing. I've been using the stuff for years. Once I did have a tube that just would not cure.... but I do know it had been setting on the shelf for a while. Other than that I don't recall having any problems.

I wondered the same thing. I've been using the stuff for years. Once I did have a tube that just would not cure.... but I do know it had been setting on the shelf for a while. Other than that I don't recall having any problems.

Actually John, it was on your advice that I used the 8115 and I said, I've had no problems with it. I've only had one repair/mod area that's sunk and that's around the gas cap. Around the join line of new "cup" that I put in instead of the original door, has sunk just a little bit. I'm not bothered though as that can be tarted up before paint. I'm glad it's sunk now and not after paint.

I guess baking the car in +50* C will do that, lol. It was 54 here on Thursday and 56 on Friday :surrender:

I used about 10 cartridges in total over a periode of more than one year. I even posted pictures if i'm correct.

In the paint booth it did the same thing as in the sun. I lot an exact ouline of the repair. On the seam between 2 panels, there would be a thin ghost line on the edge of the fiberglas panels

Last edited:
I think I posted this before, I do not think that this adhesive is meant to be topcoated with paint.

I have used 3M 8116 (and 8115) but I have always topcoated it with a filler before applying paint - never had a problem.....

a lot of time and work/sweat goes into this... seeing all the bodywork bubble and warp in the sun is quiet painful....

Actually - I am using 8116 right now on my front fender louver mod.... it is currently way over 90F here in Florida but still, I don't see any issue with the adhesive, however, I have not topcoated it yet.... .

Last edited:
I think I posted this before, I do not think that this adhesive is meant to be topcoated with paint.

I have used 3M 8116 (and 8115) but I have always topcoated it with a filler before applying paint - never had a problem.....

a lot of time and work/sweat goes into this... seeing all the bodywork bubble and warp in the sun is quiet painful....

Actually - I am using 8116 right now on my front fender louver mod.... it is currently way over 90F here in Florida but still, I don't see any issue with the adhesive, however, I have not topcoated it yet.... .

A filler is the way i finally repaired the whole shit. But a word of warning : just a light skim coat of filler won't stop it. You need at least 3-4 mm to keep it down.

Didn't read the final paragraph. : it only shows when you look at it from the right angle and when the surface is shiny as in a topcoated surface.

I'm not fantasizing on this. The problems I had were very real.