bolts and fasteners

d.wilson

car is set up in garage.
I have a 5gallon buket of bolts and washers etc left ???

During frame off ,I bagged and tagged all i could , rolling chassis is complete and body is back on minus front clip.

I need to install various items like rad support ,front and rear bumper assy etc and I cant frigure what goes where ??

any books ,any help would be appriecated.
thanks

Get you a couple of saw horses, and a 4x8 plywood, lay them all out on it, you maybe want to dip them in a bucket of gasoline first, I always do, let soak overnight, then sort out, and wire brush off the remains.....

then outta the piles you put on the ply, you sort similar size/length of bolts/hardware.....put in their own orderly piles.....

so you can count say a dozen of 3/8-16x2" bolts, in one pile...all similar in coloring/hardness/style....

keep going, then by the numbers and sizes you can figger out WTF is going on one set at a time.....

say on the rad support...you need 8? bolts total/4 per side, and they are fitting 5/16-x thread size, you choice is obvious from the piles...count, length, size....

I been doing that for almost 50 years working on cars/anything else...

I always dump all the bolts/hardware/pieces into the buckets and worry later.....

:trumpet::drink::gurney:

car is set up in garage.

During frame off ,I bagged and tagged all i could , rolling chassis is complete and body is back on minus front clip.

I need to install various items like rad support ,front and rear bumper assy etc and I cant frigure what goes where ??

thanks

I sent you a PM, come by the house I have a chart of bolts for these C3's that might help out some

Sort them by length/size, grade & unf or unc. Easier to figure out what goes where if you know how many you have. Some bolts are very easy to identify by pic.

car is set up in garage.

thanks

I sent you a PM, come by the house I have a chart of bolts for these C3's that might help out some
Is there a way to get that chart scanned?
I'm beginning my frame off restoration and considering buying replacement bolts/nuts.

car is set up in garage.

thanks

I'm beginning my frame off restoration and considering buying replacement bolts/nuts.

I'll see what I can do, it's about 18x"24". A few months ago it wouldn't have been a problem buut I don't work there anymore

This doesn't help you, but in hind sight it pays to find what you are disassembling in the AIM and write in the size and pitch of all fasteners. The AIM should provide this information, but it doesn't. It is helpful future information I failed to provide, but I always bag and tag all hardware. it takes the guess work out of assembly and helps to quickly identify replacement/restoration needs. IMO

I always bag and tag all hardware. it takes the guess work out of assembly and helps to quickly identify replacement/restoration needs. IMO
I have a load of little calico "FOD" bags with a big tag sewed to it - pop the parts in and write on the tag, what's in the bag :thumbs:

car is set up in garage.

thanks

I'll see what I can do, it's about 18x"24". A few months ago it wouldn't have been a problem buut I don't work there anymore
If you can make a photocopy of it and mail it to me, I'd pay for this, make the scan and upload to vettemod.

The chart is published by Paragon is available for $5. That is your best and cheapest option.

There is also a book that is available that is a chassis restoration guide.

Paragon Number: 11705

Bolt poster, 16" x 23.5", white styrene. The front side contains a handy reference chart or bolt headmarks, dimensions and applications, while the back has a beautiful poster featuring a 1958, 1965 & 1974 Corvette. Poster is made of tough styrene plastic, so it's perfect for hanging in your garage for easy reference.

Price: $5.00

The chart is published by Paragon is available for $5. That is your best and cheapest option.

There is also a book that is available that is a chassis restoration guide.

Paragon Number: 11705

Bolt poster, 16" x 23.5", white styrene. The front side contains a handy reference chart or bolt headmarks, dimensions and applications, while the back has a beautiful poster featuring a 1958, 1965 & 1974 Corvette. Poster is made of tough styrene plastic, so it's perfect for hanging in your garage for easy reference.

Price: $5.00
That looks good, I wish I'd known about that before...
11705_1_.jpg