Balancing Halfshafts

vette427sbc

Just got a set of aluminum C4 halfshafts to shorten and put in my car... Whats the deal with balancing these? Is it necessary? I was quoted $60/shaft to shorten and another $60/shaft to balance. I hate to be a cheap ass, but if its not necessary... :hunter:
I figure my max speed I would ever want to go is 140ish? I think thats a little over 6500RPM in 4th, divide by 3.55 and I get under 2K RPM halfshaft speed. Seems kinda slow but then again, I dont know much about drive line balancing.

These things seem feather-light compared to my steel BB halfshafts too... I know the wall thickness is a little thin, but Im not big on burnouts and power shifting so I think they will live behind my small block. Id rather twist one of these than shear a stub axle anyway.

I remember 69427 posting the weight of those and, your right, they are feather light compared to the stockers. Light weigght and small diameter are in your favor, save the $60.

It was $60 per shaft to balance... so Id save $120. Even better! Anyone have any reasons why I should have them balanced?

It was $60 per shaft to balance... so Id save $120. Even better! Anyone have any reasons why I should have them balanced?

What's the worse that could happen if they were out of balance and you were driving 140ish? Could they fail catastrophically? If so, what are the consequences? Would there be a vibration you could feel before failure? Failure may not be a big deal or even likely.

I don't have a clue myself so I'm just tossing out questions to help you and the others think this through.

DC

I always do it to check if the shaft is bent. If they shorten it, it "should" be straight.