BAD Vibration

kwplot34

Heart Attack
Finally got the car back on the ground yesterday after a complete rear suspension over haul, had a 4 wheel alignment done on it yesterday. Took it out today for the first drive.
I noticed if you hold the throttle steady there is a vibration,under acceleration and deceleration there is no vibration. At one point it got so bad i had to stay under 55mph to make it go away :push: after a few miles at 55 mph i increased the speed and it was gone accept for holding the throttle steady. Any suggestions on where to start? drive line angle maybe? I installed longer spring bolts to lower the rear ride height,could this be the problem?

What was it?

Drive line angle was way off,pretty much the same at the diff and the trans tail shaft. Used some shims to tilt the diif up about 2* higher. Went out for a drive and the vibration is gone. There is still a small vibration that comes in around 100 mph, i can feel it in the shifter.

I wonder why it was only with the throttle steady ? Bad driveline angle should make it vibrate all the time, even if you just roll downhill with the engine turned off.
Check your engine mounts...

I wonder why it was only with the throttle steady ? Bad driveline angle should make it vibrate all the time, even if you just roll downhill with the engine turned off.
Check your engine mounts...

I don't know Karsten. But changing the angle made it go away. Motor mounts are new. I would still like to find the vibration that comes in around 100 mph.

Finally got the car back on the ground yesterday after a complete rear suspension over haul, had a 4 wheel alignment done on it yesterday. Took it out today for the first drive.
I noticed if you hold the throttle steady there is a vibration,under acceleration and deceleration there is no vibration. At one point it got so bad i had to stay under 55mph to make it go away :push: after a few miles at 55 mph i increased the speed and it was gone accept for holding the throttle steady. Any suggestions on where to start? drive line angle maybe? I installed longer spring bolts to lower the rear ride height,could this be the problem?

I had the same symptoms. Turned out to be driveline angle as well. I'd changed everything from the radiator to the rearend (went to a big block with a 2004r trans and a differential out of a 71, so everything changed.). Thought I had the angles right with 5 degrees down on the engine and 5 up on the differential. Nope...brought the differential down and the transmission up. Now it's like yours, but I'm sure my higher speed vibration is from the front end. I need to rebuild the front suspension.

I had the same symptoms. Turned out to be driveline angle as well. I'd changed everything from the radiator to the rearend (went to a big block with a 2004r trans and a differential out of a 71, so everything changed.). Thought I had the angles right with 5 degrees down on the engine and 5 up on the differential. Nope...brought the differential down and the transmission up. Now it's like yours, but I'm sure my higher speed vibration is from the front end. I need to rebuild the front suspension.

I am pretty sure it's not my ft end,completely rebuilt it 2 years ago. I might try messing with the drive line angle a little more and see if that fix's the high speed vibration. It's not real bad vibration and i can only feel it in the shifter (4 speed manual). Pretty sure it's not the drive line,had new u-joints installed last year and had it balanced.

I am pretty sure it's not my ft end,completely rebuilt it 2 years ago. I might try messing with the drive line angle a little more and see if that fix's the high speed vibration. It's not real bad vibration and i can only feel it in the shifter (4 speed manual). Pretty sure it's not the drive line,had new u-joints installed last year and had it balanced.

Does it happen at the same RPM first/second/third as it does at 100mph?

Does it happen at the same RPM first/second/third as it does at 100mph?

Only happens at 100 mph and faster.