Auto Transmission

tosa

I am in the midst of installing a 2002 LS-6 into my 63,The frame is done the steeroids are in and front end is complete four wheel disc set up is in shark bite rear end is in, handbrake is brackets and cables are in. I am looking into the type of trans to go with, has anyone installed a automatic into their C-2
I would like a auto tranny of some type if possible that can fit without cutting up my floor pan. I will probably end up installing a manual if the auto is going to be to much of a pain. Has anyone installed the t-56 into a 63.
Thanks
Brian

Only 2 candidates I know of that fit my '72 without going nutz were the 700 r4 and the 200 4r, out of the two, I think the 200 is a better choice because of the size/weight, however they both were with a '89 roller engine <400 hp....~425 ft lbs ....exhaust is much easier because of the two loops in the cross member, with the 200....I know nothing of this with a LS engine...sorry....

:cool: love to see nice forensic pix when you git er dun.....I been thinking of a LS my self...:crutches:

Thanks for the reply Gene
Not much to choose from, and not many people actually have done this looks like
I may have to go with 5 or 6 spd if no one tried to install a late model (4L60E) auto tranny in a C-2 with LS-6.
I have heard people say that someone did it but I would like the real info like how much did they cut the floor pan and cross member and anything else that had to be modified.
Thanks Brian

Thanks for the reply Gene
Not much to choose from, and not many people actually have done this looks like
I may have to go with 5 or 6 spd if no one tried to install a late model (4L60E) auto tranny in a C-2 with LS-6.
I have heard people say that someone did it but I would like the real info like how much did they cut the floor pan and cross member and anything else that had to be modified.
Thanks Brian

Ok, I will go a bit further in my experiences, I did a 700 for a motor home project upgrade last winter, I bought the 700 and a 4L60e cores, the mechanics are nearly identical, but the case/brain is where the huge differences are, and that of course is in the computer control aspects of it, and a multi pin connector where just 4 pins were on the earlier unit....

the 4L60e will need all the mechanical upgrades the 700 does....and a goodly size cooler up front.....the unit is wider than the 700 also....so you will need do what I did, for two reasons, one is exhaust routing, second is cross member removal....
here is where it gets a bit vague, MY '72 was a Muncie car, as such I had a bracket hanging forward off the cross member, where the tranny mount sat, held on the member by 4 bolts, two down lo in front, two right up top/center....I have a modified bracket left over from my 700 install, that maybe helpful to you.....the 200 in there now set on the cross member directly.....
second mod to the cross member was to cut it out and weld L iron on each end, and put 1/2" dia Grade8 bolts through the L bracket going fore/aft....it's arranged to removing the bolts will allow the support to slide to the rear, but the exhaust stopped it....so I got disgusted with that stupid arrangement, and cut the loops on the bottom, had my welder buddy built a bridge/lattice up over the top making it a structural thing, and so the exhaust is about a inch lower than it was no sweat....so now the support just flops out easy with 4 bolts.....

IF your car was a auto to start with, it's a lot easier for you, mine was finally done on spur of the moment, honestly been easier to order a new support.....:crutches:

the LS computer I THINK has the capability to control a 4L60e all ready to go, assuming the program is right......

I steered clear of the later tranny because stand alone controllers are just stupid high prices at near a grand+.....

:suicide:

edit...I forgot, on the 700 install, I had to cut/widen the floor pan on the pass side to clear the casting for the band apply servo....I just reglassed it....have NO idea what about a C2....

Last edited:
Gene thanks for the reply, looks like cutting the floor is about the only way it will fit, I hate to do that but I may if it isnt a whole lot of floor removal.

Gene thanks for the reply, looks like cutting the floor is about the only way it will fit, I hate to do that but I may if it isnt a whole lot of floor removal.

I cut along the length of the tranny pan, stuck a chunk of wood against the tranny to hold the glass away, then ran new glass inside after taping underneath to catch the resin....I being lazy also cut a access hole for the dipstick tube, and tranny lines, use a piece of aluminum sealed and screwed in place for a cover, I lost about a inch of interior floor space....unsure what about a OEM automatic car, ....

years later I also cut the floor under the gas/brake pedals to enable lowering them about 3" that pulled my legs off the steering wheel, a HUGE improvement I"m 6'5" but as I recall an old g/friends '63 fit me much better....

:crutches: