Are you going to buy Chinese made GM cars ?

My ? would be if the imports could meet all the silly EPA crap.....THAT is the hard part, much less all that airbag crap.....

:skeptic:

Most of the car companies in the US are really assembly operations with components made elsewhere. Might as well assemble the cars where the parts are made.

It's certainly possible they could build then send them here - however, this is contract-negotiation year and the Big 2.5 have all made big noises about off-shoring production (Ford to Mexico, Fiat to everywhere, GM to China). Simply put, it smells like a negotiating ploy because it costs a boatload of money to move production across the street, not to mention across the world... that said, GM is probably most poised to be ready to pull this off.... so it will be interesting to watch. And yes, I'd buy a GM Buick.... if Buick made anything that came on my radar, which they don't.

Most of the car companies in the US are really assembly operations with components made elsewhere. Might as well assemble the cars where the parts are made.

Very true. I see those reports about how much of certain vehicles is actually made in the USA and I think the same thing. I do believe most of the engine components and frame/sheetmetal is still made in NA, but for the rest of those bits like circuit boards and wiring harnesses, etc. I'd be surprised if they weren't majority Chinese already.

So hire a huge transportation device to haul AIR?? easier to assemble the car here, and ship components in high density, like GM has done for decades.....I remember some 50 years ago taking a college frat tour of Dundalk ?? Sparrow's point Baltimore at the GM assy plant, and seen the RR cars driven through the plant to be unloaded for the component parts....same difference, pack the engines, trans, body panels/interiors from where ever...and assemble 50 billion lbs in a container....no question....the logistics of which escaped me on seeing that older German RORO here in Jax shipyard......for overhaul to USArmy/Marine? war effort....about 16 years ago....Tiroga if my spelling is near correct.....

:beer:

The new Corvette is a little pricey, the only other GM car I would consider is a Camaro .... However .... I am done driving expensive cars as a daily driver.... I prefer a cheap crappy daily driver and the expensive toys in the garage for pleasure use only .... I can see me buying a 70-72 Camaro but I don't think I'll ever buy anither new or newer GM car ... Even my C6 is substandard quality and that was not assembled in China ... My complaints are more about the quality of materials not really the assembly ... So with the assembly in China we probably end up with cheap ass materials, crappy parts that are assembled to matching shitty ass quality standards .... :lol:

Personnally I wouldn't.

Ford moved out of this country. Won't buy a Ford period.

Although this is a Vette forum .... Have to say: my '93 Fox Mustang is my daily driver and even with that underpowered 4 cyl it's at 235000 miles .... I am a little impressed with this car, the dashboard still looks goid, the body panels fit just fine, it squerks here and there but overall it's in great shape.... I doubt my C6 will make it to 235K, it will probably fall apart half way there .... Lol ... It looks better and is way more fun to drive though .... Lol

Those of you who know me over there may remember my anti Made-in-China avatar.
Without getting too political I still think the absolute worst thing Bill Clinton did as president was give China Most Favored Nation trading status. We never had this glut of really horrible quality products flooding the market like we do now. Some of you may look back and recall Taiwan but I challenge you, if you had a choice of Chinese made versus Taiwan made for roughly the same price, which would you choose?
As for me, I'll take Taiwan (or Korea, or India, or even Pakistan) made over China made cheap stuff any day. At least I don't think those other countries are actively taking our trade dollars and putting them toward a military build up specifically to threaten U.S. interests.
Sorry. I'm trying to not make it political, but the reality is this is an issue that has political, social and economic ties.

Personnally I wouldn't.

Although this is a Vette forum .... Have to say: my '93 Fox Mustang is my daily driver and even with that underpowered 4 cyl it's at 235000 miles .... I am a little impressed with this car, the dashboard still looks goid, the body panels fit just fine, it squerks here and there but overall it's in great shape.... I doubt my C6 will make it to 235K, it will probably fall apart half way there .... Lol ... It looks better and is way more fun to drive though .... Lol
Not sure if it is an Ford-GM thing, I'm afraid any modern car would age badly. Over the years car have gotten more an more complex. More gizmos = more things to fail.

Sent from my XT1063 using Tapatalk

Personnally I wouldn't.

Not sure if it is an Ford-GM thing, I'm afraid any modern car would age badly. Over the years car have gotten more an more complex. More gizmos = more things to fail.

Sent from my XT1063 using Tapatalk

Wife's 01 Focus, just changed the ignition sw, fail to engage starter, old one all worn to hell, 50 bux for a 20 buck part.....