anyone have good writeups and pics of rebuilding J55 calipers and master cylinder?

No pics but it's very easy. Remove the dust seals and the pistons come out. Just replace the square o ring and dust seal. Clean piston, use caliper assy lube to put it back together. Pressurized air is the easiest way to pop out the pistons. These calipers are super easy to do.

Make sure you thoroughly clean the caliper bores and passages with brake cleaner and air.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

No pics but it's very easy. Remove the dust seals and the pistons come out. Just replace the square o ring and dust seal. Clean piston, use caliper assy lube to put it back together. Pressurized air is the easiest way to pop out the pistons. These calipers are super easy to do.

Make sure you thoroughly clean the caliper bores and passages with brake cleaner and air.

what about the master cylinder? I have priced these and they are a lot LOL. Now I am not sure if that is the problem with my mushy brakes because two master cylinders have done the same thing so perhaps I have a leak somewhere else.

Do yourself a favor and get a late master with 1 reservoir. All mine with split reservoirs have fluid transition filling one and emptying the other, necessitating scooping fluid back in the other every now and then. Rockauto is probably cheapest. Rebuilding is a matter of removing the circlip, taking out the guts, replace seals and put bsck together if bore is smooth and clean. Don't break off the prop valve and warning switch when removing. Bench bleed before install

Do yourself a favor and get a late master with 1 reservoir. All mine with split reservoirs have fluid transition filling one and emptying the other, necessitating scooping fluid back in the other every now and then. Rockauto is probably cheapest. Rebuilding is a matter of removing the circlip, taking out the guts, replace seals and put bsck together if bore is smooth and clean. Don't break off the prop valve and warning switch when removing. Bench bleed before install

What M/C will bolt to my car without a lot of hassles ?

All c4 masters, the late cars have the single large reservoir

This one, 92-96

53866.jpg

Rebuilding is a matter of removing the circlip, taking out the guts, replace seals and put bsck together if bore is smooth and clean. Don't break off the prop valve and warning switch when removing. Bench bleed before install

I'll add: make sure you replace the seals in the proper orientation (IIRC it's been a looong time since I rebuilt mine). I have to ask where are you finding a master cylinder rebuild kit? Last I knew the Chevy dropped that kit, and I haven't seen any aftermarket.

Last edited: