anybody put an auto dim rear view mirror in?

Easy to put in, 3 wires, power, ground and reverse light 12V so it undims when backing up

WHY??

just for the hell of it, fine, but as a practical thing?? worth the effort you think it's THAT good??

:skeptic::fishing:

WHY??

just for the hell of it, fine, but as a practical thing?? worth the effort you think it's THAT good??

Headlights from approaching and trailing vehicles have always been a problem for me in this car being so low. It's just getting worse with the new cars having high intensity beams.

I'm looking for creative solutions to reduce eye strain and resulting headaches etc. when driving at night.

Am i the only one who drives one of these things at night? Am i the only one who consistantly drives one of these things on long trips?

The swtiched wire is already there. The ball joint and socket on the existing mirror are shot. It won't stay put. This new mirror glues to the windshield. Easy. I'm also going to play with the mounting point to get it up higher to increase my fowward field of vision.

Now, how to get the side mirror to dim? Coat it with that black translucent paint? Pop a non tinted on when i go for inspection?

For the points noted, I absolutely LOVE the autodim mirror in the old Range Rover. I've often thought of putting one in my 81 but had no idea they were in modern GM's. Another trip to the junkyard I guess.......:)

Some have an integral compass and some have temp from an external sender. Some have both. Some have map lights. Some don't have auto dim so be careful.

I settled for the auto dim feature only because it was off a brand new 2011. 9.99 plus 9.99 shipping on ebay. I'm not sure if this one has map lights. I don't think it has a harness included but i'll figure something out to connect just one wire.

I'd need an antenna and who knows what else to make the onstar work. Not going to bother with that. Although the crash feature would be nice. Don't know if the accelerometer is in the mirror though.

You can get a GM remount kit with mounting wedge and glue at autozone for 4 bucks.

Headlights from approaching and trailing vehicles have always been a problem for me in this car being so low. It's just getting worse with the new cars having high intensity beams.

I'm looking for creative solutions to reduce eye strain and resulting headaches etc. when driving at night.

Am i the only one who drives one of these things at night? Am i the only one who consistantly drives one of these things on long trips?

I agree with you....driving at night is a pain with the oncoming beams and the ones from the back.

Last edited by a moderator:
While I agree the new headlights are getting dangerously blinding my biggest complaint is reserved for the Stinkin' brake lights.

Modern cars are just a gawddorned friggin eyesore!! It's been the Jap cars for the last few years but now I note the new Charger? has a blinding bowtie of LED brakelights. While they sit in front of me with their autotrans in hold I'm subjected to an absurdly brilliant array of red light.

I mean Cmon! When is enough too much. Where's the DOT and NHTSA on this threat!

Grumble, grumble, curse, moan....curmudgeon at work here,,,,:bomb:

WHY??

Am i the only one who drives one of these things at night? Nope Am i the only one who consistantly drives one of these things on long trips?Nope

The swtiched wire is already there. The ball joint and socket on the existing mirror are shot. It won't stay put. This new mirror glues to the windshield. Easy. I'm also going to play with the mounting point to get it up higher to increase my fowward field of vision.

Now, how to get the side mirror to dim? Coat it with that black translucent paint? Pop a non tinted on when i go for inspection?
The 81 is a daily driver. Momma all week, and me on the weekends.

For the points noted, I absolutely LOVE the autodim mirror in the old Range Rover. I've often thought of putting one in my 81 but had no idea they were in modern GM's. Another trip to the junkyard I guess.......:)

Yep. My 2003 Silverado has it, along with the temp/compass deal.

Some have an integral compass and some have temp from an external sender. Some have both. Some have map lights. Some don't have auto dim so be careful.

I settled for the auto dim feature only because it was off a brand new 2011. 9.99 plus 9.99 shipping on ebay. I'm not sure if this one has map lights. I don't think it has a harness included but i'll figure something out to connect just one wire.

I'd need an antenna and who knows what else to make the onstar work. Not going to bother with that. Although the crash feature would be nice. Don't know if the accelerometer is in the mirror though.Nope

The crash sensors are on the bumpers. Ever see the little 1/2" circle deals on some Caddies and such?

i decided to try a different spot to mount the mirror. It's about in the same location a dash mount would be.

I think it really opens up the field of view. If inspector doesn't like it i'll take 2 minutes put old one back on and lift off the new one then restore when i get the sticker.

404f67fe38b38b5.jpg

404f67fe391365b.jpg

404f67fcf984e4c.jpg

Last edited: