Adjustable trailing arms

There was an earlier version of an adjustable mount but I haven't seen anyone use it. I think it was mostly for racers.

I made my own. Seems to work. I've got a new frame and the second try will be better. Laying on your back welding is hard for me.

full.jpg

full.jpg

This time I think I'll do two positions and machine two plates that will be added.

The frame will be on a stand. I did cut holes in the diagonal brace for access, but it has a (crappy) cage so any loss there won't matter.

Fine thread might work better. Grade 5 was okay to machine on my cheap lathe.

Last edited:
On mine as you can see in the pic
I don't have much room for adjustment
The adjusters are almost bottomed out

I guess it depends on what you use as a reference to align the rear.

For what it is worth, I left the spring off and put the TAs on jack stands in order to adjust the front adjusters. I had it close to ride height.

I had room for adjustment, but have since redone the ta's. But don't think overall width changed much. I haven't gotten back to install them, been busy welding alum tube.

Last edited:
I did try to keep the weld in part flush on the inside.

How many washers do you have on each side, looks like 2.

Here are my old vs new widths. Old bushings 2.25 in wide. New rockjock joint 2 in wide.

The photo is slightly misleading, as the old neoprene bushing is a bit farther from the camera. So, since this is narrower, mine will still work.

Machine the ends of the adjustment bolts nice and flat and use a thin washer the size of the minimum thread diameter and that way you'll get the most adjustment.

I don't know about anyone else, but for the rear alignment I just used the frame rails.

Attachments

• 2A349ECA-2B3F-4A1F-9430-AB7A27240C35.jpeg
    2A349ECA-2B3F-4A1F-9430-AB7A27240C35.jpeg
    114.4 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Also, check your vendor. Rockjock had a big selection of the pivots and I got a narrow one.

I also took out the jam nuts to allow the adjusters to thread in further
What do you think of using a castle nut instead of a lock nut
Drill the bolt for a cotter pin

The bolts I used are longer, I think. As long as you aren't hitting the sides before getting it into alignment, you should be okay. That is why I measured the old vs new length.

My center bolt is very long (grade 8). My adjuster bolts could probably be shorter, but wasn't worth the effort to change. My jam nut is off the shelf.

I'll grab some measurements tonight. In case that would help.

Nice work!

Thanks that may help
I don't want to put the body back on before I'm sure this is going to work