absolute simplest engine wiring schematic?

Ozzy

I have a 1980 I purchased a year or so ago. The previous owner was going to make it into a drag car. The current state of the car is a disaster to say the least. He started the car when I purchased it by hooking this wire to that wire to another wire, hold your tongue just right, pray to the gods of spark, and it fired right up.
Its now a year later and I don't remember his special combination of wires to start it.

at this point I just want to fire it up to be able to move it under its own power instead of pushing it every time it needs to be moved.

I do not want to try and use the existing wiring,I want to run a few wires and be done with it for now. Don't need charging circuit, just ignition and starter.

Does anyone have a simple schematic to achieve this?
Or do I need to take the time to look up the oem schematic and figure it out. Being as I am basically lazy I hope someone has the first option !

Thanks.

Depends on the state of the original wiring....but

that pink HEI wire goes to +12, engine has to be grounded to frame, same as - on battery.....battery +12 has to go to large starter stud.....

then to crank/run engine, you need to hook up a pushbutton or two longer clip leads one to the solenoid small S terminal.....short the clip leads together, crank engine.....obviously release the starter.....

I assume you have a mechanical fuel pump.....if not, +12 needs to go to the electric pump,

IMO, maybe one or two jumper cables, and some longer radio shack clip leads is about it.....

;)

Depends on the state of the original wiring....but

that pink HEI wire goes to +12, engine has to be grounded to frame, same as - on battery.....battery +12 has to go to large starter stud.....

then to crank/run engine, you need to hook up a pushbutton or two longer clip leads one to the solenoid small S terminal.....short the clip leads together, crank engine.....obviously release the starter.....

I assume you have a mechanical fuel pump.....if not, +12 needs to go to the electric pump,

IMO, maybe one or two jumper cables, and some longer radio shack clip leads is about it.....

;)

Which terminal on the distributor is the correct one for the +12V?

I understand the starter/soleniod circuit, just didnt know how to fire the distributor without frying it trying.

Thanks.

the one labeled BAT if it's a HEI, the other terminal is marked TACH. You also need to hook up 12V + gnd to the module wiring (base of dizzy)

The rear terminal closest to the firewall is the battery terminal. It should be marked BAT

Guess I type slowly.

Thanks guys, now I just need to push the snow off of the tarp and wire this old girl up and bring her back to life. Next door neighbor lady (75ish)will love the open headers,lol.

picture of coming home a while back:
Sharkgoinghome.jpg