68 Body on 69 Frame - Door / Body / Frame alignment

I'll say "Welcome Aboard!" - and sorry I can't help you (from experience) with your question. [But I'll make an educated guess - Maybe]
Your thought of putting the birdcage down "to spec" might have some help to the door fit.
The birdcage recall is pretty "flimsy" unless it is a coupe with a bit of "overhead" structure.
Pulling the structure into place may help align the doors gaps.
Best of Luck.

Cheers - Jim

Tim, welcome to Vettemod

I have a 68. When I put the body on the frame, I made sure the 4 birdcage mounts were level (on the body and the frame). So you are not twisting the birdcage. I put the body down on these 4 mounts and measured the gaps on the two front mounts and shimmed. Then I installed the front 6 mounts. My car is a convertible so the rear really "hinged" at the bottom rear of the door. So then I jacked up the rear until I had good door gaps and installed the mounts with shims.

The front door gaps were not good because the front clip was unsupported. When I installed the radiator support to the frame that is when the door gaps improved ( at the front) but to make them really good, will take some bodywork. The front clip had been off of my car at some point and probably not put back on correctly.

Welcome aboard
Let us know how it came out
I like what BBShark said
I too will be putting my body back on soon
69 bb coupe