48" fluorescent light

redvetracr

I have three 48" fluorescent fixtures in my trailer, the one over my work bench has a bulb out so I buy two new bulbs and replace the bad bulb...it doesn`t work but the fixture works with only one bulb...WTF I thought it needed both bulbs to work, repair or replace?

Replace, the modern SS ballasts use less power but are prone to do odd shit like that, which is why I have the old transformer type shit, that hopefully outlasts me.....

:flash:

I don`t know what you consider new but the fixtures have been hanging in the trailer since 1995 and to be honest I don`t know if they were new then, I know at least one I stole out of the garage. the best thing might be to simply replace the fixture with a new one and use the T-8 bulbs

I don`t know what you consider new but the fixtures have been hanging in the trailer since 1995 and to be honest I don`t know if they were new then, I know at least one I stole out of the garage. the best thing might be to simply replace the fixture with a new one and use the T-8 bulbs

:drink: that's watt I mean, 20 some odd years ago I worked as an electrician for a company I knew for a LONG TIME.....and so one of the gigs was changing out all the fluorescent lights in the show room ceiling....so scaffolding about 25' high, must have been 50 billion fixtures, all of them 4-8' long....reason?? energy savings, typical auto dealer must have a 50 grand/month electric bill, lit up like sunlight 24/365 the way they are,.....20 compressors per service/body shop.....so just cutting some 25% off the lighting bill alone was 50 bazillion bux/month......I have no way of knowing watt you have there, and so they all cheep enough to put in the green tip bulbs....and end the shituation.....:drink:

It does sound like a bad ballast. New bulbs should light equally.

It pisses me off how much these silly ass things cost....:crap:

:shocking: I admit it's been a decade since I bought a new one.....

:shocking:

I think the two new Sylvania T-12 bulbs were almost $6

I have two of the 8?' double bulb lights in my garage, had them for decades, brought from up north yet.....in the shop/storage area I have two double bulb lights in there 4' length....

through the years of overhauling houses, I have accumulated a ton of extra bulbs, of all descriptions, from the curly cue types down to hollywood lights for bathroom fixtures, to boxes of what is in my shop/garage, and so many ceiling fixtures, the ceiling fans we just trash out because of space....