255 tire rubbing - damn

Belgian1979vette

I had a problem with the 255/60 tire on the right front rubbing the fender in front of the tire, which was especially so with the pace car spoiler installed. I already trimmed the fender underneath the spoiler sidepiece back something like 1/2" and first thought I was ok, but when having driven the car in and out of the garage it still seems to rub. Damn...

Any other solution to this problem ?

I run 255/50/17 in front....fine, but I did limit the steering by adding to the lower A arm rub/snub block the steering knuckle hits....kept the tire off the frame on either side....'89 vette wheels

275/50/17 in rear with no issues, but unfortunately that size was only by Nitto, and the no longer make them....:crap:

One of the local guys here has a bone stock 78 pace car, fenders were trimmed at the factory. They cut the entire lip of the fender, looks like a hackjob but he bought the car in 1980 and he knows the original owner, this was definitely a factory hackjob. They probably did that to all C3s that came with the 255-60 tires.

One of the local guys here has a bone stock 78 pace car, fenders were trimmed at the factory. They cut the entire lip of the fender, looks like a hackjob but he bought the car in 1980 and he knows the original owner, this was definitely a factory hackjob. They probably did that to all C3s that came with the 255-60 tires.

I've seen some pictures. Hard to guestimate how much they actually hacked off. Looks like appr. 1/2 inch.
Anyway, if you shorten the lip, the side piece of the spoiler is moving forward causing it to sit at an angle compared to the center piece. hm :bomb:

I run 255/50/17 in front....fine, but I did limit the steering by adding to the lower A arm rub/snub block the steering knuckle hits....kept the tire off the frame on either side....'89 vette wheels

275/50/17 in rear with no issues, but unfortunately that size was only by Nitto, and the no longer make them....:crap:

I run 285/40 17 - which, accurately measuring, is one cunt hair larger.

I am a 1/4 inch off the sway bar and the stock T-arm now....doubtful I can do better.....I can always change the sway bar, but not getting into cutting the arms over it.....too much T&E and BUX.....

I maybe give it a go when I have to....that's cutting it SO close, it's a mount and try deal....

:crutches:

I still need to adjust the camber on the wheels as I have enlarged caster angle somewhat and the wheels now have too much negative camber. Would the additional camber cause this ?

Like 255/60-15 tires, I have found that cunt hairs are not as common now as they were in the 70's either. :toothbrush:

I'm under the impression cunthairs were a lot thinner in the 70's...:nuts:

They're thinner in Europe because of the metric conversion - I did a scientific study on this in the mid-80s while I was in college in France (I'm sure global warming has affected this too, but the data is still sound).

They're thinner in Europe because of the metric conversion - I did a scientific study on this in the mid-80s while I was in college in France (I'm sure global warming has affected this too, but the data is still sound).

Little they know SBC actually stands for "Sauvage Baiseurs de Gonzesses" (bitch-screwing beast). :amused:

I still need to adjust the camber on the wheels as I have enlarged caster angle somewhat and the wheels now have too much negative camber. Would the additional camber cause this ?

sorry about the hijack... yes, camber would cause that

Going to try and reset it in a couple of days on my rack. See if it improves anything.

Little they know SBC actually stands for "Sauvage Baiseurs de Gonzesses" (bitch-screwing beast). :amused:

You honestly think that the reason I loved France was because of the Louvre? :nuts:

If the rims have less back spacing than stock the rub will be more certain. If you have stock rims, there shouldn't be a problem unless the body has shifted.

If the rims have less back spacing than stock the rub will be more certain. If you have stock rims, there shouldn't be a problem unless the body has shifted.

They are stock.

If this shouldn't be a problem why are there so many threads about that. It also seems that the problem is more predominant on the right front when doing a full left turn....

I hardly see how you can actually twist a nose that amount without it being noticebly off when looking upon it in from the front. Okay I have taken my nose off in the body off resto job I had to do, but the distance from the left an right to the birdcage was measured and equal left to right and from the enter peak line on the nose.

I also think I would be able to put my bumper reinforcements and other stuff on it when it would be off that much.