1996 LS7 Z28 Camaro

68L71

I thought I'd start a build thread for my Camaro. It is a 1996 that my dad bought new and now has 60,000 miles. I've had it the last few years. It is a hardtop six speed car with leather interior, power locks, but manual windows. I bought a ratty 1999 camaro that had a tick t56 and moser 9" to part out. It also had new brakes and a bunch of other suspention goodies, including QA1's up front. I was able to get all the part needed to put the LS7 in my Lt1 car from the 1999. I sold the whole running gear from my 1996 to be used in a street rod. Currently the moser has 4.30 gears that I will be changing to 3.89 or taller gears. I drive this car daily in the summer and will continue to do so.

The project has been on hold a few weeks while I'm putting central heat in my shop.

IMG_3286_zps6a13e0f7.jpg

image_zps2dc7d5c2.jpg

IMG_3866_zpsb68bd413.jpg

The motor is a 438 LS7 wet sump and I plan on using the f-body pan with an improved racing baffle. Spec 3+ clutch and billet fly wheel. I have been thinking to run a sfi bell housing, not sure on which one yet. I have kooks 1 7/8" LTs and 3" catted true duals with single tips. I hope this setup won't be too loud, seemed like basically my only choice for exhaust capable of supporting this motor.

Here are the details on the motor
new alum 4.125" bore LS7 block resleeved by R.E.D. (Steve Demirjin), billet main caps, ARP main studs, rebushed titanium LS7 rods, Katech A1 rod bolts, Autotec lightweight race pistons, Total seal Rings, Eagle 4.1" crank set up for wet sump factory style pump setup. 11.5:1 compression, WCCH LS7 heads, cleaned up ports, Brian Tooley racing springs/titanium retainers, new guides, s/s exh valves, titanium intake valves, performance VJ. LS7 intake, LS7 fuel rail, LS9 injectors, hydraulic roller cam spec'd for me by Brian Tooley, 238/248 duration, .652" lift. LS7 lifters, Brian Tooley pushrods, ARP head bolts, MLS gaskets, LS7 rocker arms with Comp Cams trunion bearing rebuild kit, Melling oil pump, billet Katech timing chain. Motor makes ~650 hp at the flywheel.

image_zpsa1425660.jpg

image_zps0b7dcd08.jpg

must be nice having a lift, I have to do f-bodies the hard way in driveway with engine hoist.

you changing dash and all?

must be nice having a lift, I have to do f-bodies the hard way in driveway with engine hoist.

Yes without the lift it would be a much more difficult job. No the dash and interior were total shit in that purple camaro. The interior in my 96 looks like new. Honestly having not driven an ls camaro before the purple car, I was surprised how different the dash and console were. I was not impressed. I really like my 96 interior, but hated the later interior. I also hate the front end on the 98+ cars. The ls brakes are very noticeably better than the lt1 brakes, so that will be a nice upgrade. Down the road I might put some better brakes on it, but for now I'm just going to get it together.

I repinned the engine harness and made some other changes, so along with running a few 1998 gauge senders every thing in the 96 dash should work as it should. I even sent the harness to a place that tested it for me so I know all is in order.

Yes without the lift it would be a much more difficult job. No the dash and interior were total shit in that purple camaro. The interior in my 96 looks like new. Honestly having not driven an ls camaro before the purple car, I was surprised how different the dash and console were. I was not impressed. I really like my 96 interior, but hated the later interior. I also hate the front end on the 98+ cars. The ls brakes are very noticeably better than the lt1 brakes, so that will be a nice upgrade. Down the road I might put some better brakes on it, but for now I'm just going to get it together.

I repinned the engine harness and made some other changes, so along with running a few 1998 gauge senders every thing in the 96 dash should work as it should. I even sent the harness to a place that tested it for me so I know all is in order.

I like the 97 dash (looks like your 99) but have considered swapping to a firebird dash. Really like the looks of my 97 firebird dash over the 97 camaro dash. Also like some other features of the firebird over camaro so maybe make mine a hybrid.

How are you going to intergrate the 4 channel abs into your 96? I had that issue when I swapped a 97 LT1 into my 97 3.8 camaro. There were a few other issues as well.

Not sure what I'm going to do about abs, I'm pretty sure my moser 9" does not have any provisions for abs.

Last edited:
Not sure what I'm going to do about abs, I'm pretty sure my moser 9" does not have any provisions for abs.

when my abs inactive light comes on brakes still work perfect, besides using the 99 harness means the abs module will be different. did your 96 have ASR or tractiion control?

My 96 has abs, but no other traction control etc. The abs module is not on the engine engine harness and that is the only harness I am using from the 99. I did save the module from the newer camaro and all brake/fuel lines. The electrical hook ups are different, however.

My 96 has abs, but no other traction control etc. The abs module is not on the engine engine harness and that is the only harness I am using from the 99. I did save the module from the newer camaro and all brake/fuel lines. The electrical hook ups are different, however.

It is mounted if your sitting in car above you left foot. I am curious to see how your gauges react from lsx harness and senders to lt1 dash. I have heard they are not compatible. I tried a 01 camaro cluster in my 97 and it wouldn't work.

also hear sending units for lsx tank have different resistance then lt1 tanks and fuel gauge no likey

here is the difference trac control on left non or right

IMG_20130916_084233_964_zps425fbe3d.jpg

Last edited:

It is mounted if your sitting in car above you left foot. I am curious to see how your gauges react from lsx harness and senders to lt1 dash. I have heard they are not compatible. I tried a 01 camaro cluster in my 97 and it wouldn't work.

also hear sending units for lsx tank have different resistance then lt1 tanks and fuel gauge no likey

here is the difference trac control on left non or right

Thanks for the insight. I sill have my Lt1 tank and sender so that shouldn't be an issue. I am certain my 9" has no provision for abs, so I will probably just delete abs. http://www.sjmmanufacturing.com/cam_brk_lt1.html
I have to check which ones specifically, but I know I need a few gauge senders from a 1998 I believe to work with my 1996 dash.

On another note do you know what the ignition key chip is read by, the ECM or BCM?

yep, the BCM had that issue when I swapped harnesses. Just retain your original BCM and car will start right up.

yep, the BCM had that issue when I swapped harnesses. Just retain your original BCM and car will start right up.

That's good news, thanks

If you ever had issues with power windows or radio randomly quit working there is a good write up I have seen on re-soldering on the circuit board. Not sure how hard the bcm is to access on a 96 but on 97 big PITA.

there were only a few dash harness differences that I saw between my 97 3.8 and my 97 LT1.

Finally getting some work done.

45341834-2f46-43da-877d-7dc4bf5f0613_zps1737390b.jpg

thinking of maybe trying to use these covers

image_zps77be0bd0.jpg