1969-82 Sport Hub/Rotor w/ 1/2" Studs

rtj

Does anyone have info on these?

1969-82 Sport Hub/Rotor w/ 1/2" Studs

from vb&p.

Hubs are precision machined from 6061 aircraft aluminum, then matched to Sport Rotors and assembled with #10 racing wheel studs.

i have had them for years... I did modify them with a set of billet dust covers...

Today there are a lot more choices but I am happy

165167228da3c47.jpg

i have had them for years... I did modify them with a set of billet dust covers...

Today there are a lot more choices but I am happy

165167228da3c47.jpg

Great, thanks for the details. I like the half inch studs and they'll work with the wilwood "oem" style calipers.

what's wrong with the hubs that you've got?

I have a drill press and a hydr press if you want to install 1/2" studs.....

Nothing, but the tubular a-arms and rims completely changed the way the car feels. Figured I'd try more unsprung weight reduction.

Thanks for the offer to help.

Nothing, but the tubular a-arms and rims completely changed the way the car feels. Figured I'd try more unsprung weight reduction.

Thanks for the offer to help.

You wont believe how much difference shedding the stock cast iron calipers for aluminum ones will make in the ride and handling... unsprung weight :shocking:

You wont believe how much difference shedding the stock cast iron calipers for aluminum ones will make in the ride and handling... unsprung weight :shocking:

I'll see what the difference is as soon as I get my lazy ass to finally install these....LOL.... bought them almost a year ago.... :shocking:

Once they are on, you'll wish you did it sooner.

I have the Wilwood alum c3 copies and the braking and handling improved a lot. No more leaking.

Last edited:
Once they are on, you'll wish you did it sooner.

I have the Wilwood alum c3 copies and the braking and handling improved a lot. No more leaking.

I'm sure you're right but for the past few months I have been focussing on getting this Karmann Ghia running.... wish I had 18 hrs to play with my hobbies every day..... :cool:

like most guys with this hobby I really need 32 or more hrs in one day..... that would leave 14 hrs for the daily "job" and "sleep" LOL

just tonight I opened the boxes once again and drooled over these beautiful nicely red powdercoated calipers...LOL......

hell yes, it's time to install them....
:thumbs:

What is the advantage of 1/2 inch wheel studs? OK, you put 1/2 inch wheel studs in the outside of your rear wheel bearing assembly stub axle...but the inside of the stub axle has 3/8 (?) inch bolts to mate up to the u-joint. And the 3/8 inch bolts are on a smaller radius than the 1/2 inch studs. Duhhhhh! The 1/2 inch bolts just guarantee that a 3/8 bolt will fail, not a 1/2 (or the stock 7/16 stud).

Please tell me what I'm missing here! Looks like I'm on the verge of learning something.:eek:

I have what I guess you'd call a super 10 bolt rear end from Toms. I decided not to get the 1/2 studs for two reasons; (1) 7/16 stud wheels are commonplace, and (2) my torque thoughts as expressed above. Also, at one time, getting the 1/2 studs meant that the stock e-brake system would not work. Toms says that now his 1/2 studs can be used and you can still keep the stock e-brake system .

Last edited:
Perhaps, the 1/2 inch stud provides a slightly larger load bearing surface inside the more malleable aluminum hat? Seems reasonable. Anyway, I went with the AEROSPACE Components.
12694eac8a585e088.jpg [From my previous, Jim's Giovanni IRS]
Studs are 3 inches long and 1/2" diameter. Got them through VanSteel. Here's how the weight savings distribute:

Stock Caliper Bracket 2.75 lbs.
Aluminum Bracket .75 lbs

Stock Rotor 17.25 lbs
Aluminum hat & Steel Rotor 7lbs

Stock Caliper w/pads 13.75 lbs
Aluminum Calipers w/pads 4.25 lbs

Total Stock Components Weight 33.75 lbs
Total Aerospace Components Weight 12 lbs

Total Weight Savings 21.75 lbs. per side = 43.50 lbs total weight savings. 20.50 lbs is also rotating mass. Remove the dust shields for few pounds overall. Double that figure for front and rear sets. But, you lighten the wallet considerably as well. :amazed:

Cheers - Jim