ZF swap in C3 ?

Belgian1979vette

Anybody in here know what would be involved to get a ZF 6 speed in a C3 vette ? Maybe this has been covered before, but i'm only thinking since there is one for sale around here.

Thanks

Yves

Last edited:
TT did it. I think he used a C4 flywheel on a 1st gen crank or something funny like that. PM him a link to this.

I used an early C4 flywheel as the later ones for the 1pc rear seal cranks are dual mass.

The ZF will not fit the tunnel without serious mods (widening it, especially for the shifter) the shifter will sit pretty far to the rear compared to stock. Also you may need to clearance the firewall for the hydraulic slave cylinder, then there's the cags solenoid and even worse, the rear is set up for a C beam mount, so you have to fabricate a mount for that.

How much is the one near you? There are some floating around from old lotus omegas, they don't have the cags solenodi and a normal rear mount and ALL of those are damaged. A guy in NL sold about 15 of them and all have at least a minor problem, some have bigger issues. Most have busted synchros and working on these trannies is very expensive. Also the black tags are stronger than the blues. All replacement trannies are blue tags.

It's on marktplaats under the corvette parts section. Don't know that many details about it, but if the mods are that extensive, i will pass on it. A tko would be better in the final run.

Oh, that one, sold by a guy named "Xander" (not my brother) That one came out of a 86 (not originally of course) from a guy I knew and he unfortunately wrecked his car on a slipepry road..., the guy selling it now never used it (he was converting his 86 to a C5 west body kit, apparently he never did as he's selling it all now). It's not a ZR1 tranny like he states, it's a black tag L98 I think. The 1st gear synchro is shot as are some seals, the cags solenoid is missing. I know the guy who is selling it from years back. Do you know how much he wants for it?

No, I did not ask, since i wanted to know how intensive it would be to convert. Seen the fact that this one also has several problems there is no reason for me to inquire about it.

I'll ask him, I may have some use for it as a spare parts donor in case I mess mine up.

it's still there, I asked the guy how much he wanted for it, I could use it for spare parts, I got a reply stating that he figured it was still worth a good amount of money, not 200 Euros (I don't know where he came up with that, I neer quoted a price). Anyway, I have a feeling he thinks it's still worth a 1000 euros or more, which it's not. The person buying it is SOL, you'll need the enw synchros from Bill Boudreau, ZF Germany doesn't even have them, same for the gaskets. Then you still have to take the whole thing apart and for that you need special tools.