What Is This?

DARROW 74

P1010467 (Large).JPG

P1010469 (Large).JPG

P1010470 (Large).JPG

P1010473 (Large).JPGWell I am tearing down a 350 that I do not have any info on except what I see.
I really don,t think it was too long ago that it was overhauled. (30 over)

Bad carb, bad dizzy. lots of other little problems. but the # 5 and 8 have a reddish color, Is this water?

Last edited:
I dont know, but it reminds me of when i use to live in the .gov DC area and a guy down the road........................................ uh,what was the question again.
Oh i know,you need DPFI case closed :quote:

It looks like a water leak to me Darrow,better have those heads checked before putting them back on.

I dont know, but it reminds me of when i use to live in the .gov DC area and a guy down the road........................................ uh,what was the question again.
Oh i know,you need DPFI case closed :quote:

:bullshit:I can't sin twice in two day's "LMFAO"

Water that gets into a cylinder when it's running will usually clean everything up so it looks new. That looks like rust. Has this engine set for a while? I'd think about having the heads pressure checked at the least.

Water that gets into a cylinder when it's running will usually clean everything up so it looks new. That looks like rust. Has this engine set for a while? I'd think about having the heads pressure checked at the least.

MY first though too, BTW, that van you saw, on the road running good....

FINALLY....never see another one, too soon....

:bomb:

What

Gene what are you talking about??????????

:bomb:[/quote]

Gene what are you talking about??????????

:bomb:
[/QUOTE]

Tim stopped by ~a month ago, that van drove me nutz for a while, and so Tim looked at the naked short block and reinforced my opinion that the cylinders looked good, in spite of only 90 lbs compression at best.....so I took a chance and sure enough it was right, thing runs like a raped ape NOW....

point is, after some time on Dodge truck forum I found out that 100 lbs is fairly common on ~200k mile 318 engines....what I did NOT know after owning a bunch of them over the decades, is that when they did DPFI and went 'Magnum' was they must have deliberately screwed the head design, thin wall cast, so they fail at first overheating....bastards....so in went a new double core thicker radiator, it IS Florida after all....
whem son-in-law get more money in a couple months, in goes a new fan clutch, and a junkyard ATF cooler from HELL....:yahoo::crutches:

Well this gets more instresting all the time. keep in mind 5 @ 8 are in the same passage as the manifold vac port. and I can see signs of mosture all the way from the piston to the port. now this use to be a a 400 trans but is now a 700. And I did change plugs before I started taking it apart. this port is connected to the vacuum canister for the gas and the vacuum for the head lights. Well when I frist got this car the lights would not work. I found a plugged fitting on the vacuum tank unpluged it and the lights started coming up and down, one relay had a leak and was replaced. alls good or so I thought. a few miles down the road I noticed a small miss that I could never figger out. Well now I know where it was coming from.73 vette 001 (Large).jpg

Well this is a picture of a wire that I ran down into the vacuum tank it is about 50 % full of a gray sludge that is the same as I have in the manifold and the valve area and the top of the piston.

Now the Question is where did it come from? was this caused by the leaking relay? ( this is a calif car no rust)

Now the only way I know to clean this is to drill and tap a hole on the bottom so I can have a drain and then flush it with water and cleaner then blow air till I think it is dry then install a filter on it in case of rust.

What do you think?????????

Last edited:
Darrow - I agree. The common item is that both cylinders are serviced by the same runner, and both have the same vacuum port which admits something which left its mark.

With the thought that it might be coming from the vacuum tank, make sure that the vacuum check valve works too, as well as making sure that there are no leaks in the vac tank.

Good luck!

If you safety mavens check that crap, well, hook it up kosher, but if they dont. I ran my shark lights and wiper door without any storage tank for years, reason is that it was full of stress cracks in the metal and so it could not be fixed, finally cut it outta there....

so maybe to switch it in/out of the circuit or just eliminate it???

:wink: