What is the OLDEST tool in your tool box,

My father had a T Ford also, there is this kind of oddball wrench, looks like the letter F with a adjustment that looks like on a crescent wrench, for the lower bar to adjust up/down the stem.....???

Took me all day to remember the name of that wrench. In slang terms, THAT is the name....................."Monkey Wrench.":D

My father had a T Ford also, there is this kind of oddball wrench, looks like the letter F with a adjustment that looks like on a crescent wrench, for the lower bar to adjust up/down the stem.....???

Took me all day to remember the name of that wrench. In slang terms, THAT is the name....................."Monkey Wrench.":D

Dad used to use that term, and I always thought it applied to a stilson pipe wrench, like once used for galv iron pipes...

I could have misinterpreted it too....60? years ago....:surrender:

Ode to a Wrench

"WILLIAMS SUPERRENCH"
FORGED IN USA <w> ALLOY STEEL
5/8--NO. 7727--9/16

Cannot remember exactly where or when I got him--it was long long ago even for me now: A pimple-faced kid for some reason in a white-haired widow's tiny empty dirt floor garage, dust speckled shafts of sunlight through the siding boards.... An old well used wooden toolbox beneath a still older wooden workbench, it's edges softly rounded & worn from long use ...The moment my hand grasped him, I knew. We knew, he & I. This is the beginning of long friendship.
He enjoys his purpose, he takes pride in it. He feels good while doing his work and he feels so right in my hand. He's a bit longer than most box ends and so does not fit in some places, but that makes him all the better when he does fit. It is an honor for me to use him, to work together, to this day. He has proved himself so many times.
Ah, I could fill pages with the adventures we have had together. He has never let me down. Even when I have abused, misused him, he always stood up to the job and handled it without complaint. With pride, no less. He knows we gotta do what we gotta do to keep going, to get the task at hand accomplished. (He was even my third tire iron for years & years and never complained once. He bears the scars though.)
I have no idea of his history before me, but he's been with me for over four decades, in my traveling toolbag & now in my rollaway. I listen for his song every time I reach for him, and I love the song he sings when I use him--or should I say, when we work together. I look forward to using him and am dissappointed when he's not the right size or fit. But I know he'll be there, happy--eager-- to work, when it is right for him.

I have wrenches that are probably older-- Oh yeah, those old Model T monkey wrenches are invaluable in any traveling bag or toolbox! I got several, & other ones including some old Whitworths which cross over, and old Snap-Ons and such.
I ain't a real connoiseur of tools, but I do appreciate good ones. I especially appreciate good, old ones. My favorites are all older than I.

Mr. Williams Superrench #7727 may not be the oldest in my toolbox, but he's way older than me and he's still the one I always look forward to using the most.

Last edited:
"WILLIAMS SUPERRENCH"
5/8--NO. 7727--9/16

Cannot remember exactly where or when I got him--it was long long ago even for me now: A pimple-faced kid for some reason in a white-haired widow's tiny empty dirt floor garage, dust speckled shafts of sunlight through the siding boards.... An old well used wooden toolbox beneath a still older wooden workbench, it's edges softly rounded & worn from long use ...The moment my hand grasped him, I knew. We knew, he & I. This is the beginning of long friendship.
He enjoys his purpose, he takes pride in it. He feels good while doing his work and he feels so right in my hand. He's a bit longer than most box ends and so does not fit in some places, but that makes him all the better when he does fit. It is an honor for me to use him, to work together, to this day. He has proved himself so many times.
Ah, I could fill pages with the adventures we have had together. He has never let me down. Even when I have abused, misused him, he always stood up to the job and handled it without complaint. With pride, no less. He knows we gotta do what we gotta do to keep going, to get the task at hand accomplished. (He was even my third tire iron for years & years and never complained once. He bears the scars though.)
I have no idea of his history before me, but he's been with me for over four decades, in my traveling toolbag & now in my rollaway. I listen for his song every time I reach for him, and I love the song he sings when I use him--or should I say, when we work together. I look forward to using him and am dissappointed when he's not the right size or fit. But I know he'll be there, happy--eager-- to work, when it is right for him.

I have wrenches that are probably older-- Oh yeah, those old Model T monkey wrenches are invaluable in any traveling bag or toolbox! I got several, & other ones including some old Whitworths which cross over, and old Snap-Ons and such.
I ain't a real connoiseur of tools, but I do appreciate good ones. I especially appreciate good, old ones. My favorites are all older than I.

Mr. Williams Superrench #7727 may not be the oldest in my toolbox, but he's way older than me and he's still the one I always look forward to using the most.

John, you missed your true calling. You write so eloquent.:thumbs:

"WILLIAMS SUPERRENCH"
5/8--NO. 7727--9/16

John, you missed your true calling. You write so eloquent.:thumbs:

:thumbs::smash: I thought the same thing when reading it....

:)

I grew weary of that calling and now write only for my own pleasure.

Interesting, so to hijack my own thread....

what happened?? my son was interested in writing at one point, and so gave it up and I forget just why...

:eek:

I grew weary of that calling and now write only for my own pleasure.
Yep, you missed your calling. Never too late to cash in on it...
Damn good authorship! You sure brought the scene into my minds eye as tho I was there...
Yeah Gene....HighJacked!!! But a worthy highjack as well!
You guys hit it, the "monkey wrench". Gene's discript shaped like an 'F' it is.

Last edited:
I wrote & photographed professionally for years, mostly for chopper magazines. I got tired of trying to come up with fresh & unique ways of repeating the same old crap for the thousandth time, although the history articles & old-timer interveiws were always fun but too few & far between. Everybody is a writer and everybody is a photographer. 99.99% percent of it is less than mediocre and of interest only to the author.
I decided I was tired of producing what was virtually just pretty toilet paper. I wanted to do something real, of real value to the world. So I became a plumber and found great satisfaction in that.
I rarely ever take a photo anymore, I carry the memories in my head for me alone. But I still write some pretty damn good letters to my friends--they like them and that's what's important to me.

Last edited:
I wrote & photographed professionally for years, mostly for chopper magazines. I got tired of trying to come up with fresh & unique ways of repeating the same old crap for the thousandth time, although the history articles & old-timer interveiws were always fun but too few & far between. Everybody is a writer and everybody is a photographer. 99.99% percent of it is less than mediocre and of interest only to the author.
I decided I was tired of producing what was virtually just pretty toilet paper. I wanted to do something real, of real value to the world. So I became a plumber and found great satisfaction in that.
I rarely ever take a photo anymore, I carry the memories in my head for me alone. But I still write some pretty damn good letters to my friends--they like them and that's what's important to me.

:thumbs::trumpet: WTF over, that's what counts in life....stay cool,

eff 'em all, gotta go out with a smile....:twitch::devil:

I have a handful of cylinder base wrenches for the radial engines they used on the DC-3 and the Constellation. Handed to me from another TWA mechanic when he retired in 1991.