What happened to Norval?

thats too bad. its just the internet. I havent asked that someone fornicate with syphlis infected farm animals in awhile. Look at me, I am maturing.:friends:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/showthread.php?t=2062497

Well, that says it all doesn't it? It's all about that alignment thing. I knew it all along, how sad!

Ah Norval, the expert at all things...Interesting that "he who thinks he walks on water" doesn`t mention he originally told everyone to slot the diff mounting holes so you could move your pinion over, ultimately placing the whole rear axle assembly out of wack.....convenient omitted from his latest tirade against the "jerks who abide"...
redvetracr

I remember that discussion about the alignment...

Maybe Blackrat chimes in here too, we exchanged a few PMs on this subject.

I installed the TKO and I had to pry the tranny tail over to the passenger side just to keep the yoke from hitting the floor. I agree with Norval on this part: I will break my engine mounts but I already have solid mounts on the shelf.

I had to align the angles, my trans was pointing down as well as the diffy. I am using a poly diffy mount that is taller than the rubber piece. I'd think that nobody can compare the old worn shredded rubber piece with the new poly piece - it appears normal that the new poly mount is thicker/taller.... it is too tall...

I cut the poly mount, added washers and raised the diffy.

Left / right trans tail alignment: looks like I was just lucky and got it close enough, never used a string or measured anything.

No vibrations anymore, runs smooth as silk....

I was involved in some of the drivetrain angle debates. Norval stated that his drivetrain was perfectly aligned, engine, driveshaft and rear (in both planes). I prodded him on his engine angle and he finally said it was 4 degrees.

It is physically impossible for the engine, trans, driveshaft and rear to all be aligned at 4 degrees. This would place the crank centerline about 6 inches above the diff pinion.

he originally told everyone to slot the diff mounting holes so you could move your pinion over, ultimately placing the whole rear axle assembly out of wack.....redvetracr

Wow...that soulds like advice from DB!

I was involved in some of the drivetrain angle debates. Norval stated that his drivetrain was perfectly aligned, engine, driveshaft and rear (in both planes). I prodded him on his engine angle and he finally said it was 4 degrees.

It is physically impossible for the engine, trans, driveshaft and rear to all be aligned at 4 degrees. This would place the crank centerline about 6 inches above the diff pinion.

This great stuff. Unfortunately, not all of us were in on all the discussion. Could someone - in condensed form - let us in on what is the proper alingment that we should be looking for? I have a pretty good idea, but it would be nice to have something concret to work with. Thanks.:thumbs:

Read the tech article in the drivetrain section. It's the only way to do it properly

Karsten, if your motor mount is tight, you CAN modify the motor mount but you have to keep the drivetrain pointed straight back.

The discussion back then was rotating the driveline to point directly to the diff pinion (which is offset but less than 1") and also slotting the diff crossmember holes to literally angle the diff sideways pointing the pinion to the drivetrain centerline. In effect, you're installing the whole drivetraing in the car crooked. That's NOT the way to do it, by any means.

Ultimately I'll have to run a string down the drivetrain to see where the heck I'm at. I had to pry the transmission tail approximately 1/2" over to clear the tunnel, I only used a small prybar and moderate force. I use poly engine mounts, so far they have not come apart..... I will feel better once the solid mount is in, at least on the driver side, I might leave the passenger side poly .... not sure yet, I'll have to see how it vibrates with two solid mounts....

This great stuff. Unfortunately, not all of us were in on all the discussion. Could someone - in condensed form - let us in on what is the proper alingment that we should be looking for? I have a pretty good idea, but it would be nice to have something concret to work with. Thanks.:thumbs:

Ditto Glen, I also find it strange GM messed up all these sharks right outta St. Louis.....impossible to believe they would be worse than other cars, really....

and so HOW do I determine this crap from under the car, flat on my back???

I know the dirvers? side engine mount is under stress, so I can get yet another one and elongate the bolt holes....but what practical differance does it make???

any fuel economy differances...??

BTW had bad vibrations with the 700 turbo...but much reduced with the 200 in there now, and of course a longer rather than shorter driveshaft....

:nuts::clobbered: