what do you think

Dunno.... I guess I'll see when I get them (if I get them)..... $142 shipped does not leave a lot of room for profit, it's about $60 to ship them. That video that I posted in my first reply shows these rotors (that guy has four front rotors btw)..

Apparently, GM. Since they love standardization, I would imagine there IS a reason.

Good point. In addition to the rotors, I'd sure like to know why they made two different frames (bolted/welded crossmembers) and why the C3 D44 differential was different for autos and manuals. I just don't see the cost savings in any of these to justify doubling of the part numbers, paperwork, and warehousing space. Just my curiosity.

Apparently, GM. Since they love standardization, I would imagine there IS a reason.

Good point. In addition to the rotors, I'd sure like to know why they made two different frames (bolted/welded crossmembers) and why the C3 D44 differential was different for autos and manuals. I just don't see the cost savings in any of these to justify doubling of the part numbers, paperwork, and warehousing space. Just my curiosity.

I had in the very dim past, in the early 80's, a job that entailed being lead engineering tech, working over prototype benches for a small electronics manufacturer.....what I thought I knew from TV shop/manager/business work was almost nothing, so I shut my mouth and opened my ears, except to pass off a sardonic comment when I knew I was damn right....

anyway, the amount of freeking .comm between departments of just maybe 80 people in the company TOTAL.....was astounding....

going back and forth from ME dept, to EE dept, to production floor, to Purchasing, to oh christ, whatEVER on a day to day basis was a real eye opener....carrying D size drawings up and down a high rise from basement production floor, past many other businesses to the 9 th floor where our engineering space was, to the 14th floor where the smiley sales dweebs were making impossible promises to customers to be delivered yesterday....

does my sardonic humor show??? :crap:

at any rate, my silly little experiences with that sort of stuff, which was in reality quite simple, once everyone of about 8 engineers agreed, from boss on down was not so awful evil....getting there....fuck it....:crylol:

THEN was the obvious screw ups that botched the first production run of anything, even as simple as our product....

then we go for ANY company the size of GM, to ME, it's a freeking MIRACLE they ever managed to get jack diddly done at all....serious....

so when I see that alight .1 differential in face/flange/mounting thickness of a brake rotor, I"m amazed they managed to make two alike at ALL.....

And Guys, you all well know what I talking about, you engineer types, that is....

:thumbs::censored:

Dunno.... I guess I'll see when I get them (if I get them)..... $142 shipped does not leave a lot of room for profit, it's about $60 to ship them. That video that I posted in my first reply shows these rotors (that guy has four front rotors btw)..

I looked through the ebay stuff and didn't see anything for 142 shipped. It is amazing how many different brands of rotors there are. Some have all kinds of artistic patterns of the drilling and slotting you can choose from.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CHEV...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CORV...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

cs8v1.jpg

f18v1.jpg

ss8v4.jpg

detail_color2.jpg

Last edited:
Right now I have undrilled non slotted rotors with a not so unique rust coating....:D

The rotors for $142 shipped are from "rotorstop" - they also offer four rotors and pads for $200

Bunch of riced out patterns above...jeez.

Wait till the mainstream ricers see that the AP guys use j "hooks" (j shaped cuts) nowaydays...they'll go wild with that, the rotors will start to look like alphabet soup!

Does all those holes and slots do anything for braking other than making the rotor lighter?

The consensus is no. But it looks like most of the more expensive rotors are drilled or slotted or both. They say brake pads do not outgas anymore but i don't know if i buy that. It's still possible to get fade with most street pads.

I don't know if its the mill work that creates the additional cost or if they are better material. I went ahead and got 4 rear stillen roters thinking they are probably better than all this ebay stuff. I don't know. Its probably a crap shoot all the way around.

Last edited:
Well i think i will wait and see what you and Mybad have to say about your rotors when you get them,i am not in need of new rotors at this time,but i have replaced every thing else in the brake system but the rotors.

I looked through the ebay stuff and didn't see anything for 142 shipped. It is amazing how many different brands of rotors there are. Some have all kinds of artistic patterns of the drilling and slotting you can choose from.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CHEV...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CORV...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

cs8v1.jpg

f18v1.jpg

ss8v4.jpg

detail_color2.jpg
Holy Crap!
That guy has more styles for his rotors then most manufacturers have for wheels!
:smash::smash::smash::smash:

Hey Turtle, if I get 4 front rotors I could trade you two fronts for two rears.... shipping is $13.50 flat rate if they fit in one flat rate box....

:D:D

I went to the slotted rotors a few years back on a previous vette. I also have them on my current.

I wish I could tell you that it helped a great deal, but the truth is that the whole system needed to be redone..calipers, rotors, brake lines....so I did it all at once. So I really don't know how much they helped. All that I can say is that the whole system works great now for a manual system.

The upside is that the pads appear to wear evenly with no glazing. The rotors also look great after 2+ years and 6000 miles.

Don't recall where I got them from, but I think 250 bucks for front and rear is about right.

Here's a pic from last weekend.

IMG_0898.jpg

The slots can have a drawback too, when it's very wet outside water will collect in there, even with the pads slightly dragging and when applying the brakes after having not for a little while you can feel the pedal pulsing a little and hear the motors groan as the water boils off and out of the slots. Had that on my daily driver. It's kind of annoying.

Hey Turtle, if I get 4 front rotors I could trade you two fronts for two rears.... shipping is $13.50 flat rate if they fit in one flat rate box....

:D:D

But, mine are gold and yours are silver and that's just gonna clash. Where's the ghey icon? ..... I mean show n' shiine icon.

It will be interesting to see how the coating holds up. I don't know if that's gold anodized or gold colored zinc. My rotors rust up in about a year here right by the ocean. Advance has uncoated rotors for $20 so i guess i could afford to buy them about every year at that price.

the stillen rotors just got here. They are not gold cad plated. They have that same crappy looking dull zinc coating the ebay rotors have. There is a warning that the rotor must be broken in to get all the coating rubbed off before any hard braking is attempted. They just don't look like $130 rotors but maybe the maching and material is better. Who knows, Like i said before, it's a crapshoot. I might go pick up a $20 rotor from advance auto for comparison.

The ones i have on now sure rusted quickly. The friction surface on the fronts actually are pitted bad. Junk.

I probably won't put them on until spring.

Oh, and they don't have any holes for rivits which is disappointing. I wanted to be able to tap the hub and spindle to hold them on with screws.

Last edited: