Welders Look

DARROW 74

This part was on my car for about a year maybe 1000 miles. and has been very well taken of.
Question what do you think of the spot welds.

Attachments

• SHIELDS 001 (Small).jpg
    SHIELDS 001 (Small).jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 44
  • SHIELDS 002 (Medium).jpg
    SHIELDS 002 (Medium).jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 38
  • SHIELDS 003 (Medium).jpg
    SHIELDS 003 (Medium).jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 36
  • SHIELDS 004 (Medium).jpg
    SHIELDS 004 (Medium).jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 43
That's some really crappy welding. Too cold, the arc didn't melt the base metal sufficiently ..... unfortunately the parts look VERY familiar.....

I already installed my shields and I did not take photos of the welds but I am 100% sure that these pieces on my shields are not just spot welded.

I'll take the shields off this weekend to make sure :sweat::huh:

Send them to Thailand. Dean will repair and resend them to ya, free.:nuts:

If those are the Shields from Dean I would contact him to send you a prepaid mail slip to send them back and to have them fixed correctly and returned to you. Those are expensive Shields to have to worry about them flying off. Not to mention the damage they could cause if they did fly off and hit a person or anything else.

I have sold well over 500 sets in the past three years and also have the first original set on my Corvette now for 4 years and this is the first set I have seen have a problem with the welds. But I guess there is a first for everything.:suicide:

I had offered to reimburse you the costs to have them re-welded in my PM yesterday, but if you are not able to do that I will have my Daughter will send you a replacement, no charge. I just sent you a PM with more details.

Last edited:
Looks like you got a bad one, the spot welds on the ones we have here are not like that at all. Good to see Dean standing behind his product!

I have sold well over 500 sets in the past three years and also have the first original set on my Corvette now for 4 years and this is the first set I have seen have a problem with the welds. But I guess there is a first for everything.:suicide:

I had offered to reimburse you the costs to have them re-welded in my PM yesterday, but if you are not able to do that I will have my Daughter will send you a replacement, no charge. I just sent you a PM with more details.

Thank you Dean.

Last edited:

I told him not to jack up the car there.:lol::lol::lol:

It's metal fatigue from those pipes hammering during those insane runs these guys have....hang on for dear life! pucker factor 10+

Good to see Dean is standing behind his shields :thumbs:

I'll post some pics of my shields, pretty sure my welds are fine. I think I would have noticed if they were bad....

maybe the welder just had a bad day .... :surrender:

Last edited:
Good to see Dean is standing behind his shields :thumbs:

I'll post some pics of my shields, pretty sure my welds are fine. I think I would have noticed if they were bad....

maybe the welder just had a bad day .... :surrender:

I think you are right. As many as there are out there, if it was any thing else
Dean would have heard about by now.

Read about some of Keisler's (the tremac transmission vendor) problems with some gremlins creeping into their products. People selling low volume production manufactured parts don't have the infrastructure, or the contractual clout, to force their suppliers to produce 100% defect free parts. When GM, Ford, Toyota, etc buys 100,000 units or maybe 1,000,000 units of a part from a manufacturer, they can come down really hard if defective parts start showing up. Even with their clout, they of course still get dunked by bad parts showing up.

It appears that several hundred units (?) of shields have been made with no problem. That a replacement part is on the way, and is willingly and affirmatively on the way, is a best of all worlds solution.

Buying repro, or specialty made parts for our cars, is something we all need and rely upon. I've been buying parts of these categories for over 5 years and have spent a lot of money. When I get a defective product, I rarely complain since I know it's almost always a lost cause. For repro parts I've had problems with, I've actually have sometimes been able to contact the original manufacturer, and then describe the problem, not so much to complain but to alert the manufacturer to the problem, etc. Almost always, I just get denial, it's my fault, its...etc etc. They just don't want to hear.

That Bangkok Dean responded positively is a real plus. This is a characteristic to give credance to the quality of his parts. Vendors that strive to correct problems are in the minority.

BTY..Trim Line Parts became very aggressive about HELPING me when I informed them of a quality problem. I ordered 4 tail light lenses for my 68. The stainless steel trim rings were exposed to a slight rain storm ( normally keep the car garaged) and they showed signs of corrosion. I called Trim Line and they told me to send one of the lenses in. I did. They agree with me and sent me 4 new tail light lenses that to this day are perfect. No hastles about receipts, etc. I have a lot of stories where all I got was a run around (Everything Corvette).

Read about some of Keisler's (the tremac transmission vendor) problems with some gremlins creeping into their products. People selling low volume production manufactured parts don't have the infrastructure, or the contractual clout, to force their suppliers to produce 100% defect free parts. When GM, Ford, Toyota, etc buys 100,000 units or maybe 1,000,000 units of a part from a manufacturer, they can come down really hard if defective parts start showing up. Even with their clout, they of course still get dunked by bad parts showing up.

It appears that several hundred units (?) of shields have been made with no problem. That a replacement part is on the way, and is willingly and affirmatively on the way, is a best of all worlds solution.

Buying repro, or specialty made parts for our cars, is something we all need and rely upon. I've been buying parts of these categories for over 5 years and have spent a lot of money. When I get a defective product, I rarely complain since I know it's almost always a lost cause. For repro parts I've had problems with, I've actually have sometimes been able to contact the original manufacturer, and then describe the problem, not so much to complain but to alert the manufacturer to the problem, etc. Almost always, I just get denial, it's my fault, its...etc etc. They just don't want to hear.

That Bangkok Dean responded positively is a real plus. This is a characteristic to give credance to the quality of his parts. Vendors that strive to correct problems are in the minority.

BTY..Trim Line Parts became very aggressive about HELPING me when I informed them of a quality problem. I ordered 4 tail light lenses for my 68. The stainless steel trim rings were exposed to a slight rain storm ( normally keep the car garaged) and they showed signs of corrosion. I called Trim Line and they told me to send one of the lenses in. I did. They agree with me and sent me 4 new tail light lenses that to this day are perfect. No hastles about receipts, etc. I have a lot of stories where all I got was a run around (Everything Corvette).

This is just why Lars calls this the 50/50 hobby. Half the repop stuff is crap.:suicide:

Anyone won't a deal on a slightly used set of side pipe shields? They just need a little tack welding.:lol:

Nice work Dean. It's not often these days that anyone gets after sales service like that :thumbs::thumbs: