Want more HP, help me make a plan

Marck sent me some movies of a 383 equiped vette. Very tempting! So let's talk stroker:
- who sells decent but not too expensive shortblocks?
- what's involved in DIY stroking?
- I know my block needs to be clearanced, how does that work?
- The famous eagle kits: good deal or not?

Eagle/Scat kits are both fine for street engines. I bought a assembled short block and I don't regret it, it was about as expensive as buying the parts - just to safe $100 I wouldn't do the work myself, for the fun factor I would.

Have a look at the Eagle 396ci stroker kit :thumbs::smash:

Eagle/Scat stroker kits (383ci): $900 with hyper pistons and cast crank
Eagle 396ci stroker kit all forged: $1500

You will need new heads if you stroke it, I have these Edelbrock RPM heads myself and although they work I believe better heads would be a nice improvement (190 or 200 cc)

Where did you buy your shortblock? You're from Europe so the price (pm?) would be a nice guideline for me.

It would be interesting to put prices for the rotating assembly and machinework on my current blok next to the price of a complete assembled (and balanced) shortblock.

I'm from Europe but I live in Florida - bought my short block from MandREngines in Glendale (L.A.), incl roller cam $2850 or so shipped to my door.

Lucky you! I think I was born in the wrong country with my 'vette and baseball addiction :)

Anyway, that would be way out of budget: at least EUR 3500,- to my doorstep. Right now new pistons in my current blok look like the most obvious next upgrade, right after that stroking my current block which need some further investigating. Buying TT's block also is still an option, because I can build that next to my current block and make of it whatever I want.

By the way, I saw this Ebay add, would like to hear some opinions on that. With my current 8.5~ish compression, how about this... http://cgi.ebay.nl/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120291492302

Yup... that's one reason why I moved here....

8:5:1 is blower friendly, if the bottom is strong enough to take the blower I can't say.... I'd be worried about the pistons and rods shooting thru the oil pan.....

Yeah and the add says he doesn't even know if it works or not (my German is a tad rusty, so I had to read over once more).

Got a good quote yesterday for boring, honing, new pistons and rings plus installation, still waiting for a few more shops to reply. Then I can put things in perspective and decide my route. Whichever I take, it won't be boring :amused:

Before I bought the stroker I ran my old L48 engine with flat tops and edelbrock RPM heads and the mild performer cam. It was a fun engine for what it was... with that broomstick cam it would die at 5000rpm but it pulled hard from idle... a nice street setup for the money.

Did you ever look at your bores ? If the bores are clean and have no taper then you can just use the bottle brush and pop new pistons in there.... forged pistons need more skirt clearance, that could play in your favor...

With the time effort and money you're spending on this I'd not use the flat tappet cam.... a roller cam incl V6 lifters is only $400, maybe another $50 for the spider hold downs....

Your Edelbrock heads fit a 350 better than a 383, depending on cam it might be the better choice. The 383 or 396 stroker will be choked by these heads, again, with a milder cam not as noticeable... now if you choose a solid roller with 248-250 duration it won't work with these heads...

There are so many options, they actually wrote books about building engines :bump::3rd:

Lol, reading is sooooo 1980's :wink: :bounce:

My bores look fresh and with only 30k miles on the blok, they should be. I think I can only really decide what path to take after inspecting the cam for a wiped lobe next weekend.