Twilight Sentinel

molested84

While searching other vehicles looking for a replacement courtesy light timer I came across this thing called a Twilight Sentinel. I never heard of it before, so I looked it up.

from Wickedpedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twilight_Sentinel

On an automobile, Twilight Sentinel is a device on General Motors' cars that senses outside light and turns the exterior lights on and off depending on lighting conditions.

Twilight Sentinel was first offered as an option on 1960 Buicks. It was later offered in Cadillac automobiles in 1964. This feature received expanded availability on selected Buick, Oldsmobile, Pontiac and Chevrolet models in later years.

There's also a rheostat to set the time delay to shut the lights off after the ignition is turned off.

Hmmm, automatic headlights?. That could be cool, we'll add it to the beast. So I went to the junkyard and headed straight for the Cadillacs. Found a '96 Eldorado and sure enough, there was the words "Twilight Sentinel" on the dash. After pulling the switch I found out the whole gizmo(headlight switch, sentinel and delay) is integrated into one box. So I figured I could probably gut it and use the parts with my existing light switch.

Then I cruise by another land yacht. It's a '95 Buick Roadmaster and it also has Twilight Sentinel. But this one has a standard ACDelco headlight switch just like mine. I say to myself, Hey! that means there must be a separate module in here somewhere?

After two hours of removing about a hundred screws, ripping off the dashpad, dropping the steering column, pulling out the IP panel, A/C ductwork, even the gd ashtray, only to find out the module is on the other side of the fkn' car. Yep, it is located behind the passenger side kick panel just above the floor. Are you kidding me?

After all that, I took the little biatch AND the fifteen feet of harness it was hooked to. The good part was pick-n-pull only charged me $12.99.

Had to tear the dash apart...again.

dash.jpg

sensor1.jpg

sensor2.jpg

I did find an Illuminated Entry Timer and I had a couple of unused pins on the Park/Neutral switch so I wired in an Auto Door Lock module.

Now, if I can stuff all this shit up in the dash I'll be in good shape.

modules.jpg

I think I'm finally done with the wiring on this thing. Here are the leftovers.

leftover.jpg

Cheers, Dave

Dave, you are a NERD!!!!!! :sos::sos: let's jest say it takes one to know one, and gee, I wonder why that pile of wires looks SO familiar.....

probably only 3 of us on this forum that can understand all that shit.....

:cool::lol::clap:

I think that is super. Lots of goodies for little weight gain.

Dave, you are a NERD!!!!!! :sos::sos:

OK, I'll be the nerd but! without the coke-bottle glasses and pocket protector.:lol:

:shocking: many/most of the engineers I worked for in the early 80's ran with the pocket protectors....:clap::1st: I used to also as a TV shop manager...

Today it's just T shirts and dungaree cut offs.....sandals....:clap::beer: