Trailing Arm Parts

Fuelie74

I am trying to get everything together to rebuild my trailing arms this spring. After pricing everything out I seen this kit from Vanguard and it seems to be using good parts. The price also seems to be cheaper that buying the parts individually. Is this the way to go or is there a better priced way using good quality parts?
http://www.vansteel.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=shop.showItem&subgroup=1801&ID=3043

I am trying to get everything together to rebuild my trailing arms this spring. After pricing everything out I seen this kit from Vanguard and it seems to be using good parts. The price also seems to be cheaper that buying the parts individually. Is this the way to go or is there a better priced way using good quality parts?
http://www.vansteel.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=shop.showItem&subgroup=1801&ID=3043

you might want to search out the thread on doing this job by GTR1999 in the "tech articles" section as it requires some special tools and knowledge, it`s not like changing a front wheel bearing.

Thanks. I have looked threw them already though and am going to do this myself. Now I am just looking into getting the parts.

Thanks. I have looked threw them already though and am going to do this myself. Now I am just looking into getting the parts.

If you want the BEST parts at the CHEAPEST prices, contact forum member tracdogg2. He only sells quality parts and he knows his stuff - he can hook you up with everything you need.

tracdog2 (Mike) and GTR1999 (Gary) are both top notch. Stay away from mass production internet offers - I have heard bad things about those mass advertizing vendors too.

Spindles are $160 each, Seals and bearings are roughly $80, think I paid like $400 for the parts.

Plan on another $50 for the TA bushings.

Reinforce the "welds" on front and rear of the arms.

After I swap my TAs I'll rebuild the set that's coming off the '79 and I'll have those for sale. ;)

Is this the way to go or is there a better priced way using good quality parts?

The spacer included in this kit is 9 times out of 10 reuseable, the shim size you really need to set the end play to .002" is most likely not in the kit.

Price:
bearings and seals for one side $40, backing plate $25, parking brake SS $30...that's the "main ingredients" for the rebuild, plus the spindle of course... they charge $143 per side plus the spindles. Not a good deal IMO.

Sounds good. Thanks for the advice. You are making it sound like the spindles are not reusable though. Is that the case? So far I haven't had any bearing trouble but I am going threw the suspension and thought this would be a good time to do them.

Often the spindles can be re-used. I found one of mine was slip-fitted which was bad and good.... it was wearing the spindle flange but I got a setup tool out of it...
Press the spindles out and inspect them, maybe you're lucky.