track car, leave as coupe or convertible hardtop

daveL82

My 80 vette is pretty much a track car. The last few months I spent separating the front end from the chassis so it can be easily be removed for work vs. being bonded.

ON the rear I trying to deside which way to go. The 80 has the big back glass and I'm unsure about running real glass in the car and I haven't found a soruce for a lexan replacement.

My thoughts are separate the back section just past the door jam and leave as a T-top with back glass. This will allow me to pull the rear section with the glass still in place or change to a convertible surround and run as a convertible.

In put from track guys?

DaveL82 -
Lucky you! I've been at my project for a bit - and similar too mine's a 78.
I'm staying as a coupe - and found these guys for a start for finding the lexan rear screen:
http://www.percyshp.com/SpeedGlass.html
Speedglass is sold by one of the retailers too - Jegs/Summit as I recall. They have a full set front, sides and rear too.
Also another that looks good - http://proglasswindows.com/

I'm still working rear suspension - midway through the body-off. Just put it on the trailer to haul down and have the real windscreen and rear glass pulled - maybe sell on Craigslist.

I'm doing a flip front. What have you thought about the firewall, and floors? Keeping the fiberglass - or going Aluminum?

I'll keep tabs as you move along too.

Cheers - Jim

JIm,

Thanks that looks like it work. I just need to be careful releasing the rear section. On the front I'm just making it so you can still pop the hood or pull the complete front.

As for now the front has the stock fiberglass firewall. I may change down the road but goal right now is to keep scope and cost in check.

Karsten -

that rear glas is $$$ if it's in good shape, be careful removing it...
That's why I'm taking it to a ""real glass shop""'-- to keep from trashing it.

But maybe that same deal as the other thread on using local shops -- they said - over the phone; "if you don't take it we'll just toss it. "

I'll be taking it. Any takers for a rear window - 1978. Defog doesn't work.. Offers??

Cheers - Jim

last time I looked it was like $800 for a good used glass .... that was 2007 when I removed mine, I wanted to see how much it's going to cost me if I Eff it up and break it..... there are no aftermarket replacements....

My 80 vette is pretty much a track car. The last few months I spent separating the front end from the chassis so it can be easily be removed for work vs. being bonded.

ON the rear I trying to deside which way to go. The 80 has the big back glass and I'm unsure about running real glass in the car and I haven't found a soruce for a lexan replacement.

My thoughts are separate the back section just past the door jam and leave as a T-top with back glass. This will allow me to pull the rear section with the glass still in place or change to a convertible surround and run as a convertible.

In put from track guys?

Sawz-all

Sorry non sawz-all on the body. Pressure in the right spot breaks the bond most of the time.

For a racer I'd argue the opposite. Keep the hardtop to improve aero and reduce turbulence in the cockpit area. Substantially vent the rear if you're gonna run without the T-Tops. IMHO....

Thought about the convertible strongly but cost of surround, access door, and cost of fiberglass top it adds up quickly.

I considered a "bolt on" hard top...not for the Vette but anyways.... now, I want to drive the car without the top as much as possible, this means I am going to leave the hartop at home so it won't do me much good if it strts to rain.... I vote soft top.....

Thought about the convertible strongly but cost of surround, access door, and cost of fiberglass top it adds up quickly.

Isn't as bad as you think, why not buy a cheaper 74-77 t-top surround and convert it since you are just wanting a hardtop only and eliminate the decklid stuff.

After finding the back glass is available in lexan I'm going to keep it as a coupe. The car itself is in good shape and I think I could sell a number of parts off it when I strip it for the track. No point in trying to keep streetable

After finding the back glass is available in lexan I'm going to keep it as a coupe. The car itself is in good shape and I think I could sell a number of parts off it when I strip it for the track. No point in trying to keep streetable

You going to strip the interior? I am looking for a nice driver quality interior for my 82 and some other parts.