this is why the autobahn rules

The autobahn is crap too! Potholes everywhere. The nice roads are all in east germany now, well maintained. It's like money rolling off a hill, the deep end is in the east.

Well.... I don't want to say that they just can't drive here but the training/education definitely isn't worth a damn....

I got my German drivers license in the late 80's and paid the equivalent of $1400 Dollars for it ( a lot of money back then) - it included 12 mandatory hours of driving a car with a licensed instructor and additional 10 mandatory hours of driving a motorbike with a licensed instructor in the car behind me.... plus school.... a written test and a one hour driving test on bike and in car.... nowadays it probably cost around $3000USD with the Euro being so high.....

Anyways... I got my US drivers licence in Texas, answered 12 questions, drove for 10 minutes with some guy in a uniform, paid $25 and got my license....

wtf ?????

German newspapers just published part of the new 2008 fee catalog today:

- driving in the left lane (and not moving over to the empty right lane): 80 Euro
- tailgating: up to 400 Euro
- speeding: up to $680 Euro

well.... 1 Euro = 1.55 USD..... that makes breaking the rules quiet expensive

driving in the left lane (and not moving over to the empty right lane): 80 Euro

I wish they would make the penalty for doing this in the US, instant suspension of you license, confiscation of your vehicle (with the vehicle crushed in a public ceremony) followed up with a public flogging of the offender.

I wish they would make the penalty for doing this in the US, instant suspension of you license, confiscation of your vehicle (with the vehicle crushed in a public ceremony) followed up with a public flogging of the offender.

The have that in Oregon or Washington. One of the two.